Remove dispelling based on caster levels and replace with %/# dispels per dispel type

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Remove dispelling based on caster levels and replace with %/# dispels per dispel type

Post by Mattamue » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:43 pm

First off, I recognize this could be a nightmare to balance. That said, I think there's an opportunity to adjust dispels and this might be a path: tl/dr remove the caster level calculations from dispelling and have a dispelled % with # minimum based on the dispel being cast.

Suggestion
  • Lesser Dispel randomly removes 5% of spells. AoE 5%.
  • Dispel randomly removes 5% of spells or 1 spell, whichever is greater. AoE 5%.
  • Greater dispel randomly removes 15% of spells or 1 spell, whichever is greater. AoE 10% or 1 spell.
  • Mords removes 25% of spells or 2 spells, whichever is greater. AoE 15% or 1 spell.
  • Mords keeps breaches still. Breaches and the breach list are untouched.
  • Breach still occurs first and then the % of remaining spells is calculated.
  • Everything percent-wise always rounding down to the whole number as is custom in DnD & NWN.
  • AD: Abj adds a resistance where keeping 10% or 1 spell, whichever is greater.
  • Greater Spell Focus: Abjuration adds 5% removed.
  • GSF Lesser Dispel is then 10% of spells and 10% AoE.
  • GSF Dispel is then 10% or 1 and 10% AoE.
  • GSF Greater Dispel is then 20% or 1 and AoE 15% or 1 spell.
  • GSF Mords is then 30% or 2 and AoE 15% or 1 spell.
  • Epic Spell Focus: Abjuration adds 10% or 1 more.
  • ESF Lesser Dispel is then 15% or 1 and AoE 15% or 1.
  • ESF Dispel is then 15% or 2 and AoE 15% or 1.
  • ESF Greater Dispel is then 25% or 2 and AoE 20% or 2.
  • ESF Mords is then 35% or 3 and AoE 25% or 2.
For example, someone is lit up like a Christmas tree with 26 buffs and is hit with a ESF mords. Now they lost 6 breach spells and we take 20 remaining buffs * 35% = 7. That's obviously greater than 3 so the target loses 7 buffs, but wait the target is smart enough they wouldn't walk around with 26 buffs unless they had AD Abj, so they get to test keeping the higher of 10% or 1, and 10% of 20 is 2 so they get to keep 2 buffs, and so ultimately lose 5 buffs.

Another example, someone without AD Abj is buffed with 3 zoo, death ward, NEP, and a few other basic paranoia level hour/level buffs with 8 buffs total and gets hit with the same targeted ESF mords. The target loses NEP because of the breach and has 7 buffs left * 35% = 2.45 which rounds down to 2, but there's a min of 3 for the ESF Abj Mords so the target loses 3 buffs.

Thoughts
  • Lower splits on caster builds possible, allowing for things like 17 wiz / 13 cler.
  • Yes there could be a timestop casting harm caster, but I'm not suggesting any changes to SR.
  • Even the 26 SR hat will beat a 13 cler 60% of the time.
  • Cloister and Zhent might could use a look if this is approved, since they give spell pen.
  • Spell resistance might need a look as well, but maybe builds that split caster level will just need to look into ways to get spell pen or get -SR on their targets for harmful spells and that's the give and take of the build.
  • The change would be somewhat kinder to mundanes with less buffs, but gish and caster classes (and just anyone really) that stacks buffs are hurt more.
  • There's a counterplay choice for the buffer to choose what buffs are kept running instead of just slapping them all on.
  • 16 SS / 14 whatever could exist, but would be mitigated by carrying more buffs than mundanes and other damage scaling in the class today that wasn't present when SS splits were more "meta".
  • Not to dismiss that point, though, SS and Cleric and other buff-then-melee multiclassing is what I had in mind when I mentioned balance nightmare.
  • There's some internal consistency to the logic: the more magic you have the more gets blown away by the dispel. Not that logic has ever mattered, but the concept is easier to grock than CL per spell + 1d 20 vs 12 + buff CL caster roll.
  • Less random results on dispels since its a % of total buffs dispelled rather than a % chance for each buff.
  • Warlock dispel spam is capped at greater dispel 20% or 1 since they can't get ESF so their special exception isn't needed.
  • Mords scrolls (and any other dispel spell line consumable) would have more potency since the item's CL wouldn't come into play for the dispel.

Who is the audience for this post?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Remove dispelling based on caster levels and replace with %/# dispels per dispel type

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:32 pm

Rejected for balence reasons.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)