Loremaster be able to copy magic books

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

God_In_Action

Loremaster be able to copy magic books

Post by God_In_Action » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:22 pm

I propose that a new Secret Knowledge is added to Loremaster, which allows them to use a printing press to copy a magical book which cannot normally be printed. This would cost a proportionate level of reason (perhaps dragon blood, magical blood, and 1x spell scroll equal to the highest level spell contained within the book?).

The copied version of the spellbook would always contain fewer charges than the original in order to stop an infinite supply.

This would give the Loremaster flavour and add to their niche. The cost and reduced number of charges would need to be proportionate to not make it overpowered. I suggest that a Lesser Secret Knowledge would be suitable, if the copying cost/number of charges is high enough.

Additionally, I suggest a similar Greater Secret which would allow a Loremaster to create a new Magical Book. Ingredients would include a pre-existing magical book and 1x spell scroll of each spell to be in the new book. It destroys the old book and scrolls, and creates the new book with the spells of the scrolls instead (certain spells could be barred, of course). It would have a number of charges slightly less than the old book, and would include a number of spells up to however many the previous book included.

I think that anything which gives Loremaster its own identity without needing to be itself a spellcaster is a good thing for the sake of the class's identity. Please, make my magical caligrapher and paelographer dreams come true.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Loremaster be able to copy magic books

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:52 am

No due to balence concerns.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)