Evil Item Disposal/Magic Trash Can

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

noj

Evil Item Disposal/Magic Trash Can

Post by noj » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:08 pm

A thought that arose from a chat on the discord:

My paladin runs into canopic prisms, necromancer staves, and infernal contract items all the time. I imagine the little network of overworked trash fairies that take items away mechanically probably don't exist in-lore, and dumping an item in the trash just lets it sit there until it's collected by the little network of overworked trashman fairies that -do- exist in-lore. (Speculative)

So I got to thinking about some kind of basin or container, probably not something everyone can make rather just something sitting in, say, the Radiant Heart, or somewhere particularly good-aligned. A "magic trash can" for lack of better term that can accept evil items and either dispose of them with a little more good-aligned flair like an enchantment failed VFX when you plop the item in question in.

Maybe it spits out some components depending on what you put in, but I imagine that would be a pain to script so maybe not.

tl;dr:
Good-aligned magic trash can/purifying basin that eats bad items and plays a little vfx to release dopamine to paladin brain for getting rid of evil items.

DM Poppy

Re: Evil Item Disposal/Magic Trash Can

Post by DM Poppy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:43 am

This exists already in the form of actual Trash Cans. They are extremely good at disposing of whatever you put in them, instantly.
I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Evil Item Disposal/Magic Trash Can

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:17 pm

See I'm torn here. On the one hand yeah, having something a little more flashy and thematic would be cool. On the other - I worry that it would also have the opposite effect? People might feel that a quick bit of flashing light in a special trashcan is entirely enough for any evil object, and would make the disposal of them /too/ handwavy. I think for now I'll reject.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)