Expand Banishment (And maybe Dismissal)

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

S-Senpai...

Expand Banishment (And maybe Dismissal)

Post by S-Senpai... » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:27 am

This suggestion is mainly for banishment, but may also be for dismissal as they are similar spells and do the same thing, one is just stronger.

Banishment is already a very interesting spell. The base spell works in removing summons. Arelith has expanded this spell to block summoning for a duration as well as work on some planetouched races. These are neat and thematic changes, giving use as a combat spell or for roleplay reasons.

But what if they did more!

Full outsider playable races get (or are supposed to get) booted to their thematic planes. But what of Natives of the Prime on other planes?

The suggestion is that the Banishment spell has a chance to banish a Prime native back to somewhere on the Arelith Isle. This can be done by a will save or some other form of save with a very low DC. Does not work if self cast, and only against hostiled PCs to avoid free teleportation abuse. If possible, perhaps make it a low percent chance of occurring.

Additionally, allow the newer races to have similar instances of being banished to their attuned plane. I believe Shadovar are fully attuned to the Plane of Shadow for instance.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Expand Banishment (And maybe Dismissal)

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:23 pm

Denied, it's an interesting idea, but not worth it for the work it'd entail.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)