Ambiguous Cross-School Stream

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Hazard

Ambiguous Cross-School Stream

Post by Hazard » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:56 am

I think the server needs less black & white when it comes to necromancy.

I would like to see the introduction of an undead stream that is ambiguous as to whether it is or isn't animation, so that people can play necromancers with summons without being forced into the Underdark and the single settlement it has (and frankly the stifling clique culture having 1 settlement will always result in), and to be able to go on adventures without getting into a fight with other players when they inevitably see your undead.

This would be difficult to achieve because people will always meta knowing. I think there could be a solution to this?

The suggestion is to introduce cross-school summons, and transmutation summons. Streams that get the exact same (but not both) benefits, whether they are from ESF: Necromancy or ESF: Transmutation

An example would be something like a -stream for statues. We could say they could be created through Necromancy or Transmutation. This way no one can meta whether you are an animator or not when spotting you with them. They would just be some human models with stoneskin appearance and glowing eyes.

If you see someone with them you'd have no way of knowing whether they were created through animation or transmutation.

The same spells/effects that do not affect undead because they are not conjurations (dismissal, banishment, anti-magic field, summon blocking) would not affect the statues because they are either animated through necromancy or transmutation and not summoned.

It would also open up a path for characters to be able to solo and get summons that have no interest in building a conjurer OR a necromancer.

Thank you for reading. Feel free to PM if you'd like me to reiterate or expand on these thoughts in case I did not explain well enough.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Ambiguous Cross-School Stream

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:29 pm

The thing is, Constructs (as they are statues) and Undead (as created by either summoning or animation) are two different things with two different stat blocks, and animation (as is in the DM rulings) is always evil, no matter what.

That is not to say the idea is a bad one, but it needs to be thought about.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Ambiguous Cross-School Stream

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:16 pm

After some discussion rejected.
Necromancers can use other streams to summon other creatures. the payoff for getting all those neat undead bonuses comes in the roleplay danger of /using/ undead.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)