Tools for Capture.

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Watchful Glare

Tools for Capture.

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:45 am

In many circumstances whether you are playing a guard, a law enforcer, a bounty hunter or anything of the sort it would be good to have a tool that can be applied to a willing or a subdualed target, which would allow them to be brought with you across teleportation through IC means.

As it stands the most effective method of capturing someone is not to capture them, it is to kill them, put them in your pocket and resurrect them in a different location where the RP can continue smoothly.

Even if there is no fighting involved, and the subject verbally agrees to surrender and go with you, unless they're dead and in your pocket they can twist a portal lens and instead of going to where they said they would go, they escape. And that is not only something that one can do, but in many circumstances you could argue that is exactly what a character should do as a part of the 'fearing death'.

To have something of that sort would bring a good tool to bridge the gap of "My character would never do that willingly, but they had no choice" IC, to avoid making murder the most effective method.

Several possibilities, maybe one will be deemed good enough, maybe none will:

- A heavy movement speed penalty is applied to the target for the duration. They can only walk.
- Teleportation (save for the one initiated by the captor) and magic is disabled for the duration.
- Skill penalties are the same as when being subdualed. That is kept.
- Tool allows your next teleportation to have the same effect and to the same place as the shackled target.

Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Tools for Capture.

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:31 am

Kinda-sorta-approved.
See this

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40727&p=315329#p315329

The idea above- some sort of capture tool, is a good one. But this /almost/ duplicates to the other thread, so moving this to 'rejected' for pure paperwork reasons.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)