Public Dice Rolls of Skills for RP

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Lewtzy

Public Dice Rolls of Skills for RP

Post by Lewtzy » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:45 am

TL;DR
Suggestion to make it possible to do a Public or targetted Diceroll of Skills like Bluff or Perform.
1.Perhaps with a command like "-roll Bluff" Which will then automatically show a rolled dice in the combatlog.
2.And perhaps an automatically printed result without showing numbers.

Suggestion 1.a
Example of today, my character is part of the Kuldarn and sees an NPC tell a Player character off for being a thief. I am OOC assuming they pickpocketed the NPC before etc. etc. but my character ICly does not know all this and reacts to what he sees:

After this interaction my character walks on.

Now if it was possible to do a "Public" or "Target" a diceroll of a skill value to the nearby area or another character, that would have made this interaction smoother.

A simple ruleset could even be suggested as to what counters what skill. Since Sense Motive is not a skill we have on Arelith to oppose Bluff or Perform.
But that is ofc. only applicable if this is introduced altogether.

Suggestion 1.b
As people seem to be very secretive with stats on this server.

1. Player types "-roll Bluff"
2. In a certain radius, people automatically roll the opposing skill, let's say Concentration or Lore for lack of others.
3. All that is printed in the combatlog for both players is:
<name> Saw through your Bluff! (this is an OOC notification only)
<name> Believed every word! (this is an OOC notification only)
<name> Believed every word! (this is an OOC notification only)
4. Proceed with RP accordingly.

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Public Dice Rolls of Skills for RP

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:49 am

In general I think Irongron disapproves of this because he is concerned that it will encourage power-play. On another server I played, I saw people frequently using dice rolls as a means of "one-upping" people. Even though I think the feature would be awesome to have, I doubt it will be approved.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Public Dice Rolls of Skills for RP

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:52 pm

Sorrow has it right. Rejected.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)