Hostaliser should tag entire party hostile

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Choofed

Hostaliser should tag entire party hostile

Post by Choofed » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:25 pm

Hey all,

Often we find ourselves in dynamic PVP situations where people may hop in who we don't expect. In those situations, the player has the obligation to hostile them, and they should in turn.

But life's not ideal.

As such, I propose the hostaliser tool tags a persons entire party when you click 'em with it.

Zavandar

Re: Hostaliser should tag entire party hostile

Post by Zavandar » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:39 pm

this can be used to metagame who is in a party with someone

dislike

Intelligence is too important

Choofed

Post by Choofed » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:42 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:39 pm

dislike

The alternative is rulebreaking. You have to hostile people when you PVP them, if you mass area hostile your summons will kill people not involved.

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:45 pm

Just because someone is hostile, doesn't mean you have to engage on them either.

So if you tagged a party and someone a turned red a little bit away. It doesn't mean they are actually involved, that much you'd still need to establish.

But a method to hostile outside of "Everyone in this area is getting some" would really be great.

ATM I think the Hostiliser has 3 Function
On the Character - Hostiles them
On Yourself - Hostiles a circle around you
On the Ground - Hostiles the entire area.

I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:56 pm

Choofed wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:42 pm
Zavandar wrote:

dislike

The alternative is rulebreaking. You have to hostile people when you PVP them, if you mass area hostile your summons will kill people not involved.

i guess i control my summons enough for this to not be an issue. i also don't see how hostiling a person's party remedies the "people may hop in who we don't expect" issue aside from the fact it, as i said, lets you metagame and figure out OOC "who to expect"

Choofed

Post by Choofed » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:59 pm

DM Poppy wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:45 pm

So if you tagged a party and someone a turned red a little bit away. It doesn't mean they are actually involved, that much you'd still need to establish.

Very agreed. Just because you learn that this person is in a party it doesn't give you narritive reason to attack them or randomly death match them because red name. However, if combat initiates and they get wrapped in it smooths the clear OOC notification to those involved that 'this is going down'.

But you need to have everyone you're fighting turned red, and sometimes you can't tag everyone. Especially in situations with third parties involved.

Jan Skorvo

Post by Jan Skorvo » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:09 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:56 pm
Choofed wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:42 pm
Zavandar wrote:

dislike

i guess i control my summons enough for this to not be an issue. i also don't see how hostiling a person's party remedies the "people may hop in who we don't expect" issue aside from the fact it, as i said, lets you metagame and figure out OOC "who to expect"

Your point is silly, people can already see who is in a party by attempting to invite them into a party, so there already exists ways to metagame the scenario if someone is determined enough. This suggestion would ensure that if any one wishes to join in, that spells and feats react accordingly to the person who has hostiled an entire party. Instead of area hostiling everyone so that a single stray aoe spell or ability doesnt wipe out people, or tediously hostiling people as they jump into the pvp one by one, which is incredibly hectic and difficult to do mid pvp.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:11 pm

i guarantee that people will change their behavior when they hostile someone and see 6 people turn red.

seeing that someone is in a party is not the same as seeing who they're in the party with. please don't be silly.

Choofed

Post by Choofed » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:32 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:11 pm

i guarantee that people will change their behavior when they hostile someone and see 6 people turn red.

Metagaming isn't having access to information, it's using it. If you get a nice recording of someone walking up, threatening to gut you then doing a 180 when they realise they just went hostile with half the square that's reportable.

The reality is, there is a clear rules incentive to have everyone you may be entering PVP with hostile. Subsequently, to ensure that you are rules compliant the tools should reflect your attempts to ensure you are following them.

A party is a good indicator of people who are going to be co-operating in a PVP encounter, especially if they're already involved. This change would significantly reduce the action time required to ensure you become rules compliant.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:40 pm

and if they are in the party but don't get involved? what if people you might fight with aren't even in a party? you're back at square one.

i have absolutely seen people react differently when hostiled. i've had people attack me immediately, i've had people react to it in-character ("you have bad mojo all of a sudden"), i've had people turn and run without saying a word.

we don't need more tools for metagaming when people can just control their summons. the player tool is fantastic. hostile who you're going to pvp with. if other people join without hostiling you, that's their wrongdoing, not yours. if there's a lot of people you might get into a brawl with? blanket hostile.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 pm

Zav is correct, we have to work from the perspective that any tool that can be used for metagaming, will be.
This is also more a suggestion and such, denied.

Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:28 pm

And This Is Why We Can't Have Nice things. Sorry guys.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)