Swashbuckler Improvement

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

God_In_Action

Swashbuckler Improvement

Post by God_In_Action » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:27 am

As we know, Swashbuckler isn't that attractive compared to other classes. It has abilities tied to dexterity (Grace, Elegant Strike, Swashbuckler Dodge, Feint, Second Intention) or which require wearing light armour, and is clearly designed with Dex as main stat in mind (Uncanny Dodge, Improved Evasion, Epic Dodge as a feat option). However, it cannot make proper use of Dex due to not being included in the Rogue feats Stealth Bonuses, Lightly Armored and Specialty Weapons. You can dip into Rogue, but the Swashbuckler abilities need deep levels, which means you don't get synergy and don't get the real benefits of those Rogue feats like you do with a Rogue/SD build for example.

I suggest simply adding Swashbuckler to the list of classes which count towards Stealth Bonuses, Lightly Armored and Specialty Weapons synergy.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Swashbuckler Improvement

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:09 pm

Denied for balence reasons.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)