Tweeks for UD races

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

aaa3

Tweeks for UD races

Post by aaa3 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Goblins, gnolls, kobolds

Allow them to get smaller tribesmen path as basic. Capped at level 10th. Ie said races could summon tribesmen since their beginning and scaling only to early levels, letting them have much more easier start (companions levels would cap at level 10, so those going the path fully would have edge). Afterall PC is quite a hero in eyes of his fellow npcs and could get some buddies following him!

Duergars

Get them permanent bonus to merchants checks all across the UD to reflect thing they are well known UD-merchants. Getting cheaper items and selling loot for higher prices will help them in beginning as well.

Hunter548

Re: Tweeks for UD races

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Duergar already get some really powerful subrace abilities.

Goblin/kobold/gnoll subrace abilities are, however, pretty garbage.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

BornToCrave

Post by BornToCrave » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:36 am

I think Yukka once suggested giving Kobolds and Goblins the Tribesman path, even before such things were avaliable.

Imo, it makes a whole lot of sense.

As for Gnolls, give them -track?
Or give them abyssal?

OR all of the above >=)!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:54 am

Gnolls already have Ranger as a favored class, so it's pretty easy for them to get -track with minimal impact. Abyssal sounds cool. I'd like to see them get either Abyssal or Animal, depending on their alignment.

If I were to give gnolls anything, I'd probably give them a free -0.5 or -1 ECL to represent their rapid rate of maturation and the urgency of their short lifespans.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Katze

Post by Katze » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 am

give kobolds bonuses to persuade checks, goblins craft weapon, and the furries intimidate
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:52 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:I'd like to see them get either Abyssal or Animal, depending on their alignment.
Well, they already get Animal. It would be a little strange to meet a Gnoll that couldn't communicate in barks and growls, though.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Abyssal should, and could by all means be a gnoll thing. So could taunt and intimidate boosts.

The last of the latter could, and should, apply to orogs mutually.

Kobolds could, and should, get a bit more boosts to traphandling than their gains at start. Dragonwroughts could, and should, be possible for a bit more ECL given how vigorously winged kobolds are flung around anyway.

Goblins could, and should, gain boosts to pickpocket and (given their hivemind mentality) a potential boosts on will saves to mind-affecting.

... but none of those are on the "[X Monster's name here] as players" sections in the source material... so... good luck on vouching for it.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

BornToCrave

Post by BornToCrave » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Gnolls actually have their own language- Gnoll, though it was never added or made. They don't really communicate with barks and growls as much as animals do as they mostly relay on body language.

As for the race buffs, they do indeed feel abit off. Maybe more because in PnP they were made to be a part of a big living community, rather than a PC in a very small community for each respective race.

Imo, they all deserve more of a cultural buff that would be implemented through new items, dedicated areas, or even race specific classes.

If memory serves, Items like 'Duergar warhammer' or 'Goblin smasher' were indeed added, but I never found myself too interested in purchasing an expensive early-stage item that would become entirely useless once I hit level 4, or 5.

It just seems allot can be added in the form of race specific paths or subraces.

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 pm

DestroyerOTN wrote:Kobolds could, and should, get a bit more boosts to traphandling than their gains at start. Dragonwroughts could, and should, be possible for a bit more ECL given how vigorously winged kobolds are flung around anyway.

Goblins could, and should, gain boosts to pickpocket and (given their hivemind mentality) a potential boosts on will saves to mind-affecting.
Problem is, the skill stuff really isn't in any way mechanically powerful. There is no reason to take the subrace still, if you don't invest in those skills. What is a +6 to set traps for an epic barb? Nothing useful.

The -track idea for gnolls is good. For goblins/kobolds I'd rather hand out small adjustments to ECL (-0.1, -0.25), because the species are meant to be weak.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:37 pm

I'd like to see all UD races - gnoll, goblin, duergar, drow, kobold and the like, get undercommon as a standard language. As it is now, I do not think kobolds and gnolls get undercommon.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

BornToCrave

Post by BornToCrave » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Every single UD race has Undercommon upon selection, save Gnolls, actually.