Control Companion

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Valo65

Control Companion

Post by Valo65 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:51 am

On another server I play, players are given access to the Player Tool feats, which can be set up to provide one or more different functions, from searching someone else's inventory, to knocking on doors, tracking, and finally controlling summons, familiars, animal companions and henchmen.

This is one of my favorite parts of that server, and I believe Arelith would do well to have it here.

It works like this: You are given the player tool, and you can assign it to your hotbar through the Class Abilities section of the radial menu (where summon familiar and mount actions would be found, for instance). Afterward, you use it on a summon to assign the tool to them, so that when you use the tool it will give the order to that particular summon.

Once this is done, you can order the companion to move to particular areas, attack enemies, even open doors and break apart chests and barrels. It can be buggy at times, especially in combat where the summon's AI tries to make it attack particular enemies while you're telling it to attack other ones, but despite this small frustration it is a great aspect of that server that has served it well for years.

I believe Arelith would do well to implement this.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

livingNPC

Re: Control Companion

Post by livingNPC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:00 am

Was this a CeP server?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:06 am

That's workable.

I've avoided using the Player Tool feats because I can't rename them without haks. But I'm open to doing something like this.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:37 am

Some kind of control over animal companions would be nice.

With the new update they fulfill their role of companion better. To bring more life to them Roleplay tools such as this would be very nice.

Some option to have them walk here walk there.
Some option to have the player make them -emote- . Similar to the familiars. Always looks strange when one tries to describe how his companion acts, and the emote hangs over the PC's head.

It'd separate the two entities in terms of roleplay.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm

I developed code like this for another server years back. I still have it. It may need a bit of tweaking to integrate cleanly into Arelith, but I could certainly do that.

If you'd like, Mithreas, I could polish it and send it over sometime this week. Would you be interested?

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 pm

While the server in question does use haks now (they are optional), they have done this for years without haks. Even today they do not use CEP, livingNPC.

So it's not a question of haks.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Peppermint wrote:I developed code like this for another server years back. I still have it. It may need a bit of tweaking to integrate cleanly into Arelith, but I could certainly do that.

If you'd like, Mithreas, I could polish it and send it over sometime this week. Would you be interested?
Possibly. Feel free to hit me up on skype to discuss.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.