"Luring" Mobs

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Aromatic Treebark

"Luring" Mobs

Post by Aromatic Treebark » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:24 am

Would it be possible to edit an encounter mechanic so that if one member of the encounter\mob is engaged, the other follow it no matter what?

The tactic of "luring" one NPC at a time with an arrow or projectile so that it can be killed whilst the rest of the group remains ignorant is very poor RP. If your buddy is shot next to you & runs away to combat, you are going to follow them & help.

I've even been criticized in-game & in-RP for not luring one NPC away at a time, despite it being completely implausible as realism would have it. I am fairly certain I've read that it is against server rules anyhow.

Thoughts?

Roketter

Re: "Luring" Mobs

Post by Roketter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:30 am

I think this suggestion would only lead to more intelligent mobs, wich in the end would result in more people hanging out in the death area, more frustration for the players facing the encounters at the cost of extra scripting on their AI's.
The benefits I do not see, as generally battles between a full group of mobs and an entire player party involve a lot of clicking and mashing buttons and skills and few lines of text if any.

At least luring allows the party to talk instead of putting every member of the group into a Leeroy Jenkins scenario on every encounter where only characters with good defense and resistance or escape mechanics would survive.

THe luring tactic is not realistic, but neither is the monsters appearing out of nowhere at regular intervals and them just standing there awaiting to be killed.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:40 am

IIRC Mithreas once mentioned that he installed this and didn't quite work out, but don't quote me on that.

Aromatic Treebark

Post by Aromatic Treebark » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:42 am

Hmmm. I guess the answer is simply the integrity of the RP & to not lure mobs then. Thanks for the responses!

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:54 am

Have been on servers where the mobs have that sort of AI. Yes, it is more realistic, and yes, you die more often. Particularly if you are a player coming from a server without the additional AI.

Also in consideration, would be the need to rebalance all the mobs if suck an AI was implemented. Most mobs seem to be tricked out with extra canonical abilities, DR and etc geared toward being faced in smaller numbers. Causing a whole bunch to swarm the PC/party at once would significantly change the level rating of any given area.

Aromatic Treebark

Post by Aromatic Treebark » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 am

Right, with smarter AI the actually difficulty may need to be nerfed as to preserve balance.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:46 am

Aromatic Treebark wrote:Hmmm. I guess the answer is simply the integrity of the RP & to not lure mobs then. Thanks for the responses!
I'm eager to see a response from DMs or DEVs about this before we start jumping to conclusions on who has and who hasn't got "roleplay integrity". This is how shadow rules are born.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 am

*Lays an arrow over his bow, slowly draws back the string, takes careful aim, lets the arrow fly to skim across the cave wall near the monster.*

Then!

*The beast perks its head and comes closer to investigate, shortly after he is hacked, stabbed, and beaten to death by the waiting party of noble adventurers.*

Imagination is important on Arelith, so it rolling with the RP going on at times. Don't sweat the small stuff so much and have more fun.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:27 am

What_Evil_Lurks wrote:*Lays an arrow over his bow, slowly draws back the string, takes careful aim, lets the arrow fly to skim across the cave wall near the monster.*

Then!

*The beast perks its head and comes closer to investigate, shortly after he is hacked, stabbed, and beaten to death by the waiting party of noble adventurers.*

Imagination is important on Arelith, so it rolling with the RP going on at times. Don't sweat the small stuff so much and have more fun.
+1 Like.

This is how I usually see it. I enjoy using tactics when the area I'm in is dangerous
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:17 am

Group of monsters alarmed at once would simply open up new tactics. Players adapt quickly.
Bottlenecks ,chokepoints, use of traps, other area effect spells, immobilization magic and abilties I'd believe become more of a common choice.
I have no fear when it comes to adaptibility. Players are very creative.

Personally I'd love to see a smarter AI. Would require more Tactics talk, using the environment to your advantage, etc.

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 am

My personal opinion only, so take it for what it's worth:

The game engine only allows for so much when it comes to environmental tactics. If I party up with someone that wants to RP out taking the time and effort to split the enemy up so they can be engaged one on one, and the only way they can do it is by tossing a slingstone at one enemy while emoting *intentionally crushes a twig, the snap audible in the quiet night air*, I'm less inclined to be upset with them for making the fight easier than I am glad that they're RPing the adventure and adding flavor for everyone on it, and not just steamrolling through the mob to maximize their XP per minute.
TANSTAAFL

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:34 am

When I see people luring with poor RP, I tend to have the rest of the mob wake up and charge. If I see people luring with an effort to create a sense of atmosphere and fun for the rest of their party, I leave them be. Take it how you will.