Printing Press on Skal

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Kalgoon

Printing Press on Skal

Post by Kalgoon » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:50 am

Books on Skal come from somewhere and it isn't just from imports or bookcase fairies.

I propose that a Printing Press, just one, be added to Skal.

Now, I've been thinking of locations and reasons for it existing in said locations:

There is a player-run library in Skaljard, but as a private building it couldn't go there unless an official library of sorts was created, but I don't think the Hodving would do such a thing. There are a couple unused buildings in Skaljard, though.

What about The Masters in their Tower? There's a nice little book nook off to the side of the main chamber, but I don't think they would want just anyone using it, unless it was to garner favor with the locals. They'd likely have theirs hidden away, but they could also charge admission to use it.

What about the Laird at Dunmarle Castle, then? Probable. He has five bookshelves that often spawn higher tier written works in the Castle itself and there are a couple unused buildings within the Castle courtyard that could be made into a public library, maybe even with an internal quarter for the library caretaker. I like this option the best, because it could bring more traffic to the Castle, as the library is frequented by some people in Skaljard, if only for phrasebooks, and language lessons around the fire are a fun experience.

Then there are the Imaskari in their own Tower. This would be the best location to curb any sort of book creation spamming, as you have to not only travel there but also bring the resources with you. Maybe they might even charge for access to their printing press, like the Masters might.

So, with these locations in mind, I ask that a Printing Press be added to Skal, somewhere. Leaving Skal just to use one and lug back books during the thaw is tedious, but it happens. You won't stop new books being made and brought to Skal, so might as well improve the process a little bit.
Narcisse, Gnomish linguist and booper of snoots.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Printing Press on Skal

Post by Irongron » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:05 am

Approved.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Printing Press on Skal

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm

In the pipeline now.