New Greater Award: size altered characters

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

New Greater Award: size altered characters

Post by Rei_Jin » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:38 am

Pretty straightforward this one.

Suggestion: for a Greater award, you can select a one size category larger or smaller version of a non-award race.

What would this mean?

A human one size larger would get (in addition to normal human traits) +2Str, -2Dex, Large Size (so -1AC, -1AB, -4 Hide, can use larger weapons), and would be appropriately larger as a character model. No level adjustment change.

A human one size smaller would get (in addition to normal human traits) -2Str, +2Dex, Small Size (so +1AC, +1AB, +4 Hide), and would be appropriately smaller as a character model. No level adjustment change.

The justification is that gigantism and dwarfism are naturally occurring phenomena, just uncommon. So Bilbo the Halfling who is the size of a human, well, he’s just a tall halfling, and all the Halflings treat him like one of them, even if he does get odd glances from time to time and bump his head on doorways in Bendir Dale.

It would add a bunch more options for characters without making the server more exotic.

And, if desired, this could be expanded to a major award for a race that is normally a minor award (so Wild Dwarves, Forest Gnomes, Troglodytes, Gnolls, Derro, and Ghostwise Halflings.)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: New Greater Award: size altered characters

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:36 pm

Approved for... something a bit /like/ this.

Not suer about the stat increases, but having an award (likely minor) that just allows your pc to be a little bigger/smaller than normal pcs (maybe when they pick height options it can be +/- 10% or something) seems reasonable. A full size catagory with all the stats that entails? I'm honestly unsure and that's more of a balence question. If the taem think it could work then maybe. Maybe.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:12 pm

Visual changes seem fine to me. As soon as this becomes a matter of mechanics, these supposedly uncommon characters would start to appear all over the place because they're better for one build or another.

Amnesy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amnesy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:08 pm

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:36 am

Completed for visual changes only, using +/- 1-2% over existing values (accounting for cases where sub-racial height multipliers would have made higher values rather goofy).

Done.