Forum Requests

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

MrKrang

Forum Requests

Post by MrKrang » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Would it be possible where it lists the last post in a thread, to show the name of the thread not just the name of the poster please.

Just for lazy people like me to see at a glance if a thread is active.

Cheers :)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Forum Requests

Post by ActionReplay » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Also, I might've missed this though, but another template/layout on the forum design would be swell! But I am unsure perhaps those things needs to be installed on the forum for users to make use of it.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 pm

It would be lovely to have another theme! You don't have to change the default -- just installing other themes gives users the option to change it for themselves only. The default phpBB theme does not agree with my eyes.

They are very easy to install! Maybe something dark from here? https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... s/dark-17/

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:56 pm

They can be easy to install, but then you lose customisations (for example, making the quick search box appear automatically and pruning it of clutter was all done by editing the template files).

I don't want to maintain multiple themes, but I do want to make the main one more consistent with the Arelith look and feel.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:04 pm

In that case, I think there are a few things that could improve the current theme (note that these suggestions are, of course, all my personal opinion, and not meant to insult!):
  • Limit the forum so it doesn't stretch to the entire width of the browser. It looks pretty bad at high resolution! The old Arelith forums were perfect in this regard.
  • Remove the bright cyan. The old forums had a much more appealing colour! RGB 72, 91, 117, or a brighter 129, 150, 179 might be worth trying.
  • Swap the user information portrait from the right side to the left side of posts, as it was before.
  • On the topic of the portrait, making it more clearly defined (by a darker line, perhaps) from the main post would look better, I think.
  • A way to see the topic of a post in the "Last Post" section, rather than just the username, would be an excellent addition.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Scholar Midnight wrote:Limit the forum so it doesn't stretch to the entire width of the browser. It looks pretty bad at high resolution! The old Arelith forums were perfect in this regard.
This is the big one for me. It's hard to read multi-line text blocks on a 26" 16:10 monitor, and I can't be bothered to use a half screen window.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:35 pm

The avatars on the right side unnerve me.

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 pm

IndifferentPerson wrote:The avatars on the right side unnerve me.
Yeah, that's bothering me as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Other than that, change is always interesting.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:47 pm

MrKrang wrote:Would it be possible where it lists the last post in a thread, to show the name of the thread not just the name of the poster please.

Just for lazy people like me to see at a glance if a thread is active.

Cheers :)
Done.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:58 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:Limit the forum so it doesn't stretch to the entire width of the browser. It looks pretty bad at high resolution! The old Arelith forums were perfect in this regard.
This is the big one for me. It's hard to read multi-line text blocks on a 26" 16:10 monitor, and I can't be bothered to use a half screen window.
Fixed.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Mithreas wrote:Fixed.
It's still stretched. Did I mess something up, somehow?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Shift-refresh.

And don't mind the color scheme, it's a work in progress.

MrKrang

Post by MrKrang » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Wow that was quick! Cheers Mith

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:45 pm

Looking at the forum change every other click is funny.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:01 pm

I'm going to leave it like that for now ;) Still lots to do, of course. But there is more in life than editing CSS.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Mithreas wrote:Shift-refresh.
Snazzy. Thanks.