Coal in the Underdark

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Yma23

Coal in the Underdark

Post by Yma23 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Coal Deposits in the Underdark

So recently it appears that the coal deposits in the underdark have been shifted around, or highly reduced. Several of the easier to reach ones are no longer where they once were. I realize this perhaps comes across as a small, even petty request but – please can one or two be put back?
Right now, it’s impossible for a low level character to go out and get coal by themselves. Now if this were almost any other crafting resource I’d shrug my shoulders and go ‘meh’. But coal is one of the most widely used and vital of all the resources. Without being able to get to it, it scuppers the crafting of low level smiths, alchemists and art crafters.
‘Well this encourages people to make parties!’
True, but the UD isn’t always a very busy place, it can be hard to find someone to party with, especially at a low level. Glass, for example, is something people regularly quote as wanting to pay low levels to gather and make. This is now, at present, utterly impossible.
‘Well, they can buy coal!’
Again. Low level. Where do they find the coin? What can they make with the coal which is, at that level, worth the 100 coins per chunk to purchase it? (this is the going price of coal at the moment)
‘Ok so screw the lower levels, this isn’t a problem for mid to upper is it?’
‘Not a huge one, no. But it makes, frankly, more busy work for us. I don’t much like ‘busy work’ of having to pass transition after transition just to get a very basic resource. Though I’ll admit, this maybe me being lazy.
‘Well have you tried the mines? They’ll have coal. That’s not hard to reach surely?’
Avoiding spoilers, I don’t want to state if there is coal in dem mines or not. But if there is, you need to be a citizen to enter. This means purchasing citizenship. Which means being level 7. Also – this gives whoever owns the mines an absolutely –massive- advantage. Pretty unbalanced imo.
‘But the underdark is –hard- It’s meant to be grim! Gritty! Nasty’
Yeeessss… but it’s also underground. Why is coal suddenly so hard to find… underground? Things like wood, plants, so forth? That makes a lot of sense. But coal? Really?
‘So what do you want? 1000 coal deposits right next to Andunor?’
‘No. But one near it, in a level appropriate for 3-5’s, would be nice. That’s it. Just one deposit. Just one.’

Edit: I realize that it’s possible that the changes are due to a bug or extreme (and I mean extreme) bad luck. But I’m pretty sure that the latter is at least not the case, and I’m unconvinced about the former. However, if it is a bug…? Well. Please can it be fixed?

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Coal in the Underdark

Post by Irongron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 pm

There's at least 3 deposits within the 2 area radius around the city, one of which is very easy to reach.

It should also be noted that it's not only citizens that can enter the Silver Mines (And I don't mean the social skill check)

Razmo_de

Re: Coal in the Underdark

Post by Razmo_de » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Cordor on the other hand, has a freaking coal mine.
And an iron mine (think that one has coal too).

You know, one could think that it was easier to mine stuff in the UD.
That one thing was coal once (in the high-lvl Vault).
When I want to seriously mine stuff, it goes like
coal, iron, silver, gold, mithril -> surface
adamantine -> UD

The rest of it doesn't need to be mined seriously.