Stealth Cleric Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Stealth Cleric Build

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:11 pm

How would this look? Is it PVP viable? Bonus points for assassin levels.

High Primate

Re: Stealth Cleric Build

Post by High Primate » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Utterly horrible, unviable, and useless. You'd be dispellable, frail, and do low damage. Better to go trickery domain and pack a bunch of extended invisibilities if you want a stealth themed cleric.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by kittenblackfriends » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:53 pm

If you're invis, no one can see you without true sight/see invis. If you're Silenced, no one can hear you - meaning if you sneak, they won't hear you if you're invisible.

Of course, they'll still see the silence aura...
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 pm

kittenblackfriends wrote:If you're invis, no one can see you without true sight/see invis. If you're Silenced, no one can hear you - meaning if you sneak, they won't hear you if you're invisible.

Of course, they'll still see the silence aura...
On NWN you can't detect an invisible creature through listen unless they're in melee range, anyway, so you can often avoid even that possibility as long as you keep a healthy distance between yourself and anyone you don't want to know you're there.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 pm

weave master was the only viable caster spy.

other than that, no, this discussion has come up a lot.

I don't know about a level 40 setting like Sinfar, but within the confines of level 30, you will actually hate yourself for playing it.

seriously, for your own sake, don't do it

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Cleric/monk is sort of playable but has a rather steep curve.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Go crazy and make the RogueHeavy/ClerkLight/Fighter4. The optimised build is to go Rogue10/Monk10/Clerk10 or different mixtures thereof, but I suspect the land of Arelith abounds in Monk. Without grating the Monk cheese in, it's a gimpy build that has difficulty maxing all the essential abilities (unsure about gearing on Arelith, mind), but can hold its own toe-to-toe in most PvM situations. With the Monk cheese included, you are actually a fairly burly beast.

The philosophy, though a toilsome one, is that you have your divine juice to buff you up for short stints of awesomeness: Divine Favor, Divine Power, Aid, Bless, and optionally Divine Might and Shield, if you decide to bother with CHA. I think the CHA bonus fits the roguish Clerk archetype nicely for RP. You can do without, though. As for domains, Strength is highly advisable to keep you stocked in Divine Power. Other good considerations are Trickery for Imp Invis and Travel for Haste, though naturally it's better to let your deity or good sense dictate them.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Opustus wrote:Go crazy and make the RogueHeavy/ClerkLight/Fighter4. The optimised build is to go Rogue10/Monk10/Clerk10 or different mixtures thereof, but I suspect the land of Arelith abounds in Monk. Without grating the Monk cheese in, it's a gimpy build that has difficulty maxing all the essential abilities (unsure about gearing on Arelith, mind), but can hold its own toe-to-toe in most PvM situations. With the Monk cheese included, you are actually a fairly burly beast.

The philosophy, though a toilsome one, is that you have your divine juice to buff you up for short stints of awesomeness: Divine Favor, Divine Power, Aid, Bless, and optionally Divine Might and Shield, if you decide to bother with CHA. I think the CHA bonus fits the roguish Clerk archetype nicely for RP. You can do without, though. As for domains, Strength is highly advisable to keep you stocked in Divine Power. Other good considerations are Trickery for Imp Invis and Travel for Haste, though naturally it's better to let your deity or good sense dictate them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6d5cu6U1SA

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:38 am

Opustus wrote:Go crazy and make the RogueHeavy/ClerkLight/Fighter4. The optimised build is to go Rogue10/Monk10/Clerk10 or different mixtures thereof, but I suspect the land of Arelith abounds in Monk. Without grating the Monk cheese in, it's a gimpy build that has difficulty maxing all the essential abilities (unsure about gearing on Arelith, mind), but can hold its own toe-to-toe in most PvM situations. With the Monk cheese included, you are actually a fairly burly beast.

Not trying to be impolite, but this would be awful. I'd be surprised if you could even make it to level 30 playing this. You'd run out of spells quickly in dungeons and then be a burden to whatever party you're traveling with, and your meager buffs would be dispelled in quick measure. Not recommended.
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 am

Monk/cleric/rogue? Str-based? Wail on people with your fists than corner sneak away, or cast invis.

The Oblodra build is 17 cleric/9 ranger/4 rogue. Although nowadays, you'll get dispelled into smitherings.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:37 pm

High Primate: Of course it's silly and awful, but that's the charm of it! Rise beyond, thrive in suffering!

Norfildor

Post by Norfildor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:The Oblodra build is 17 cleric/9 ranger/4 rogue.
DEX-based 18cleric/5ranger/7rogue actually. She was viable mostly because of harm (as high initiative would allow you to harm and finish off most STR based builds before they even got a swing at you).
Since harm got changed this route is hardly viable anymore.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 pm

susitsu wrote:weave master was the only viable caster spy.
A pure vanilla sorcerer can still keep themselves invisible for over 2 RL hours if that's all they need to do with their level 2-5 slots. You don't have to have unlimited spells to be viable at it when the limit is higher than you reasonably need.

StealthyKraken

Post by StealthyKraken » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Healer (caster) cleric with 4 lvl monk dip? Get hide/ms gear for sneaking and some INT to actually invest into those skills, because you'll still want the normal cleric skills (con, disc, tumble, spellcraft, heal, (lore)). You'll have 33ish hide/ms normally and roundabout 53 with your situational gear.

This is essentially the meta caster cleric, aside from the ranger variant. Only difference would be different skillpoint distribution and slightly different base stats (more dex and int, losing con and str, if you dare).
gilescorey wrote:I'm very gay

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:15 pm

please don't suggest heal to people on a cleric heavy build

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Opustus wrote:High Primate: Of course it's silly and awful,
Yes
but that's the charm of it!
Wherein lies the charm? :?
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:40 pm

In going where no one has dared go before, in going where angels won't go~

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Opustus wrote:In going where no one has dared go before, in going where angels won't go~
you're triggering powers are commendable.

but after even leveling up an optimal rogue build, I'd like to shoot myself now please and thank you. so I'll progress your status from meme to evil for speaking such madness.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:25 pm

The trick is to have enough CHA to make friends who can do the dirty work for you, silly'um.

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:45 pm

I play a Rogue/Cleric. Take trickery and rely on lots of spell slotted invisibility and extended invisibility and you can sneak around just find. You then only need to dip enough rogue levels for skill dumps as suits you- I've gone for 6, simply so that I can sprinkle those open lock/search/disable trap skills (etc.) through the 30 levels, rather than having to wait until high epics. By level 30 it should be able to hit lock DCs of between 105-110.

You don't sacrifice very much cleric casting power but can still make use of the rogue skills.

Alternatively why not just cross-class high high/ms until you hit 8 in each, then go for 13 assassin. Take Trickery and Travel domains and you don't even need to worry about sub optimal hide/ms, since you can just rely on extended invisibility. Haste/invis/7d6 sneak/divine power/divine favour gets you nice damage- heck even go strength based since you don't need that dexterity for sneaking! GSF: Conj will get you the Ancient Elemental and the above build should be pretty awesome for PvE. Or swap rogue for assassin and stick to hide/ms/dexterity if you would miss UMD too much.

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 am

Not sure how viable it would be in the current meta but I remember 21 cleric, 6 monk, 3 rogue with 2 kamas (and 1 or 0 spell focuses, cant remember) used to be pretty decent but blooms late. It has this problem with low CL (which is a serious problem, don't get me wrong) but otherwise it pretty much covers a stealth cleric theme and has 10 attacks and yada yada.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo