Wild Mage build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Vash___

Wild Mage build

Post by Vash___ » Wed May 22, 2024 12:01 pm

Hello, I’m looking for a build PvP for a wild mage; atm I die in 3,2 seconds against other player.. so.. any suggestions?

Hazard

Re: Wild Mage build

Post by Hazard » Mon May 27, 2024 11:02 am

Suggestion is to not play a wildmage, and I say that as someone who loves(loved) wildmage.
It's most fun when taken to full 30, so you can use your class' main ability -fate.
Unfortunately, this makes you a sitting duck with no disc and no AC.

Alternatively you can build like a martial and end up with high AC, disc and saves, but you'll always accomplish this better as anything other than a wildmage.

My advice would be to play something else, or go 30 wildmage and just not care about PvP meta. I've managed to do fine in PvP for years as a 30 wildmage with smart positioning and roleplay as a shield.

Sorry, good luck.

perseid

Post by perseid » Tue May 28, 2024 10:03 am

I've played a Wildmage for awhile both as a 30 and non-30 setup. I agree with Hazard generally. The current state of Wizard is such that even if Wildmage has a lot of flexibility you're still not going to be as performant as other caster builds dominating right now. That said, I'll give a counter-perspective by advocating that I do think Wildmage 30 is a good sucker punch wizard as well as give some thoughts on playing effectively.

The revamp of Wildmage brought back the ability to -fate during other casting actions which bolstered their action economy in a very sleight but appreciable way. What this means is that if your opponent isn't dressed down in wards besides their /hour buffs then you can do a fairly solid evo combo of Hastepot->Hellball(Target self for speed, the haste won't have accelerated your casting yet anyway)->Timestop(some people will try to slip in an extra spell first while the target is on the ground)->Maximized Isaac's Greater Missile StormX3(-fate 100 one of these)->G. Ruin. The -fate 100 here is only going to add around 150 damage but its guaranteed to tag against the target as long as they're not warded correctly. This nudges your evo combo high enough (around 750 damage before damage resistances thanks to that -fate 100) that even with -pray a lot of low and some middling hp builds will still melt before they have a chance to act. And of course after that you'll probably get cut down by whoever else is around but the point is that before you're cut down you have a stronger chance than a lot of wizards to kill someone through raw damage even if you were largely unwarded so it's an okay play for "I suddenly hate this guy and want him to die regardless of who's around" social situations.

To more generally helpful pvp advice against people you aren't sucker punching... I'd still emphasize leveraging the upgraded action economy of -fate but with more situational consideration. -fate 91 conveys around 10 minutes of crit immunity. This won't make you immortal by any means but if one guy knocks you down and you've warded appropriately you might survive long enough to stand back up and try to flee towards an ally. -fate 96 is far from reliable since it only works outdoors but if you see a good chance to use it you can split an enemy team fairly severely for a short time during which your own party can focus down isolated enemy frontline. -fate 21 is an easily purged slow (assuming your enemy isn't an rdd) but it's one that will work even on a target with Freedom of Movement applied and so it's a good way to prevent a specific target from fleeing since at the very least they'll have to waste a short time getting rid of it. If you want to be boring you can also -fate 94 a Mord cast iirc to double Mord an opponent with one action which is bland but really sucks for that guy as far as fighting the other guys on your team.

Either way though, I do agree that Wildmage is still generally very fragile and shares a lot of the typical downsides currently associated with wizards. We're in a much better place than we used to be but you're going to have to accept to a degree that your best move in a given situation is either going to be going all in hard and unloading everything you possibly can in as short a window as possible or focusing on team support through impactful -fate plays to advantage your party members alongside the usual Wizard stuff like buff stripping, tagging people with dots, and strategic applications of area denial magic.

Edit: As far as an actual build. Opinions probably very a little but I'm fond of ending (on a Human) with Extend Spell, Maximize Spell, Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy (for the augmented Predator duration), Epic Spell Focus: Abjuration, Conjuration (swappable), Divination, Evocation; Greater Ruin, Hellball, and Mummy Dust (this is probably swappable but personally I like it even after the change to how it impacts scrolls).

Starting Stats:
Str: 14
Dex: 8
Con: 15 [17 w/ Gift] (last levelup point turns this into 16[18/w gift])
Int 18 [20 w/ Gift] (Apply all but your final levelup points here)
Cha: 8
*The reason for Str 14 is because you want as much Str as possible if you're caught without a spell mantle by a Balagarn's Iron Horn. Ideally you want to gear enough Str to have 50/50 odds of passing when buffed but even more is better if you can fit it.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:30 pm

You might look at abyssal warlocks as they have the wild surges but should be more viable in the current meta. You don't get -fate though, so it's more if you just want the random craziness surges bring.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:14 am

You should be asking normal mages how to to mage first. Wild mage has no secret sauce that avoid most the pitfalls of a normal mage (shortage of spells, setting up an evo combo, etc.).

Everyone is part of the 30 pure camp, but honestly, I think 27/3 works fine too. Just play like normal mage but slap in a force surge every round you are doing your evo combo.

People more skills with mages can explain the evo combo. After you mords your opponent down etc, you do something like hellball, persistent damage spell, timestop, maximized igms, maximized igms, etc. With wild mage you can force dweomer surges on top of the damage from those spells to increase the potency of your evo combo. If you are pure wild mage, you can also have a guranteed fate. This guranteed fate is nice, but not necessary and chaos shield at high level wild mage with the reckless dweomer action feat can force surges throughout your evo combo. that are or the most part on the favourable side.