Spell Blade Build Suggestions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Astral

Spell Blade Build Suggestions

Post by Astral » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:40 am

I actually have no idea how I'd do it. Too many attributes spread, and if I mc 4 fighter or paladin pre-epic I only get epic spells/focuses at lvl 27 and I end up with 25~ CL which I consider abysmal even against a mord scroll.

Anyone ever played one to epics and can share some wisdom? I prefer a sorc over a wizard but I'm open minded.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

One Two Three Five

Re: Spell Blade Build Suggestions

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:17 am

Wait till the alleged
Peppermint wrote:possibility of a spellsword path or focus open for the future
Otherwise, don't bother. You'll have a bad time. Or, like, idk, Bard 20/Fighter 4/PDK 6.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:24 am

I played one years ago (Ryang the sorc/fighter) Suggestions?

:arrow: Disable Disable Disable
Your AB isn't going to be spectacular, even with the new 3/4 BAB boost. Instead of constantly trying to jack up your AB....just lower your enemies AC. Blindness. Paralysis. Bigby's. Grease. Web. All of these will inflict heavy AC penalties. Even characters with uncanny dodge will still loose their dodge sources of AC. This is typically a -6 AC on builds with 30 ranks of tumble; more if there are other sources affected by any of the above conditions.

:arrow: Multiclass
Even with the 3/4 AB, you'll need some extra HP and discipline, which you can't get from caster classes.

:arrow: At least one spell focus
You can get more, but its possible to get away with just one. You just need to figure out one that fits your playstyle. Ryang was most effective against battleclerics, largely due to his evocation focuses (Mords+bigby's+sunburst+acid sheath usually made the fight very one sided)

Try to figure out what spell focuses best support your imagined playstyle. Enchantment, evocation and illusion would work well. Necromancy, divination, and transmutation, however, probably wouldn't help much; you don't have a whole lot of freedom with feat selection

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 am

The 3/4ths ab got removed today.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:32 am

...Lol. I was wondeirng how long that was going to take. NEVERMIND. The above -can- work, but with the way the power creep has been over the last few years, its not something i'd recommend trying unless you really like making things difficult.

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:44 am

In all honesty if you want to do a spellblade like character now, I'd suggest (and stronly push) either Battle bard (Bard/Fighter) or Bardadin (Bard/Paladin[blackguard if evil]/Fighter)

Also, while divine and not arcane, Battle cleric is another option.

As it stands, wizard/sorc don't blend well into a Spellblade, so I'd either try something like the above or wait for the potential Spellblade path.
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:57 am

Since I'm playing a spell blade at the moment I have to disagree that they aren't good. Maybe not optimal, but they can survive on their own by drawing in 1-3 at a time.

Parry is very helpful here, as is going dexterity based to build up your AC :)

(However the 3/4 AB loss is somewhat annoying... it cold have at least been pushed into a separate path rather than cut altogether)

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:47 am

Kirito wrote:Since I'm playing a spell blade at the moment I have to disagree that they aren't good. Maybe not optimal, but they can survive on their own by drawing in 1-3 at a time.

Parry is very helpful here, as is going dexterity based to build up your AC :)

(However the 3/4 AB loss is somewhat annoying... it cold have at least been pushed into a separate path rather than cut altogether)
It was cut so that they can actually make a path while keeping the iconic "vanilla" mage exactly that.

Give it time and we may see a path. But with /all/ mages regardless of path having 3/4 BAB it made it more difficult to build and balance a path for spellblades while still keeping the traditional mage. I have heard rumblings of a path but I wouldn't hold my breath for it anytime soon.
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:17 am

Rabbid wrote: It was cut so that they can actually make a path while keeping the iconic "vanilla" mage exactly that.

Give it time and we may see a path. But with /all/ mages regardless of path having 3/4 BAB it made it more difficult to build and balance a path for spellblades while still keeping the traditional mage. I have heard rumblings of a path but I wouldn't hold my breath for it anytime soon.
Yup, but it would also have worked to revert the the mages later on when the path was ready, and allow existing mages to take it via a trainer thus giving an option not to invalidate existing (non path) "spellblade" mages.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:34 am

As far as I know, there's no spellsword in the works now, though as mentioned in the patch notes, it's something I'd be open to in the future. It's something I think would be super cool, and have toyed with from time to time. It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if another developer wanted to take this on as a project. Unfortunately, the addition of the mage BAB bonus made the introduction of a spellsword path next to impossible; and by the same token, it made the addition of further actual mage cookies* very difficult, too.

I do sympathize with anyone that was adversely impacted by this reversion (especially those that had planned dedicated spellswords). In an ideal world, this patch would have gone in much sooner, though unfortunately, real life does sometimes get in the way.

(* i.e. my current project)

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 am

play a bard or cleric, closest thing u'll get

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:06 am

Truth is I've played bard wm, bard bg, bard fighter, bard cot, favoured soul cot, favoured soul bg and b-cleric (with charisma) only in the past few years (Bard junkie here) so I guess I'll wait and see if there's any other changes to melee mage potential in the future. Thanks everyone.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I would play an evo cleric with Air/Cold Domain, or a druid, if I wanted to play any kind of spellsword build.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil