Totem-build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Saleph

Totem-build

Post by Saleph » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am

Greetings ya'll.

So, I started a Panther-totem druid recently.
Planned as:
Dru(3)Monk(4)Dru(13)Pre epic.

Then some Rogue in the epics, to Skilldump.

The problem I face (reached lvl 8 lately) is DR. Apparently this build has and will have no reall damage Penetration whatsoever...
How much of a problem is this?
And, can it be solved?

Thanks guys!

Lorkas

Re: Totem-build

Post by Lorkas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 am

Shift into elemental shape or one of the Polymorph Self/Shapechange forms while you have premonition/stoneskin active when you really need to pierce DR.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 am

It can't be solved. Totems were designed to have high hp pool, high ac and low damage.

There are ways to compensate (slightly). Monk lvls is one step in the right direction in that it raises your unarmed damage.

Other ways to increase damage is: sneak attack (you get a few die of that), power attack, weapon specialization (and epic variant).

Later you can deal with DR by using the elemental shapes as elementals have creature weapons. Creature weapons have the funky feature that they count their DR type when calculating DR penetration. Meaning: elemental shape in its weakest form has DR 10/+2 (I think) sp this shape will penetrate any DR with x/+2 (or lower). Cast stoneskin on yourself and now you have DR 10/+5. This makes your creature weapon +5 in terms of DR penetration (only that, it doesn't give extra ab or damage). The shapechange forms all have creature weapons too so this works when using those shapes as well.

Other tips:
Your animal companion will penetrate DR when under the effect of magic fang. Keep the companion alive and buffed and it'll help you deal with DR. With "Player Tool 1" you actually have a chance to manouver the companion around to deal with enemies with DR while you try to draw aggro (easier said than done).
Some of the stronger summons also rip through DR. And if they have creatuer weapons the DR trick works on them too same goes for companions (AFAIK)
Death Armor potions lets you deal magical dmg when hit. This is not reduced by DR.

None of the above solves the issue obviously but could make DR less of a hassle.

With 4 monk levels you will do 1d6 dmg + str modifer + sneak attack. Against crit immune critters or critters with flat DR, this will let you deal with most enemies eventually.

As a fellow panther druid (without monk lvls or sneak attacks, mind): I feel your pain.

*edit* Lorkas nija'd me :|

HinAttack
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by HinAttack » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am

Did the +4 Dex bug for shifting into panther form ever get fixed? I think the OP may want to know that before he invests a lot of time in the PC..

Saleph

Post by Saleph » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm

The +4 bug is fixed, as well as the gauntlet bug.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 pm

That's at best a minor hassle. It was/is only bugged in totem shape and +4 dex will not matter much.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 pm

So, AB on gloves doesn't translate to DR penetration in the beast form? Shucks! Also, Panther Druid22/SD5/Monk3 might be fun, if you can summon the shadow in beast form.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:42 pm

You can use feats in polymorphed shape so shadow should work. Won't be too useful with only 5 lvls in SD, though.

Gloves and off-hand weapons never merge. Weapons only merge for armed shapes (i.e. only for shifter shapes).

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Not sure what kind of stats a level 13 SD shadow would end up with, but level 5 SD gets 60% concealment and is a level 10 Outsider with big STR, DEX and CON from the Panther shape, so yeah, seems pretty weak but at least it'd be a cool RP element. The class would primarily be for HiPS, Evasion, SA and Uncanny Dodge, though.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect