Using Improved Expertise Greensteel vs Damask

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cybernet21

Using Improved Expertise Greensteel vs Damask

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 pm

So on my paladin character i have two sword a Grensteel one with sonic +4 Essence and Damask one with 2 Fire (might be a +3 but we'll go with +2)

I have been using greensteel to see if the criticals seem worthy and they happen much more frequently,my question is: I am using Improved exprtise almost all of the time otherwise i get easily hit wich makes me hit less (but when i do it normally is a Crit because the range is 18-20) so would you guys recommend to stick to the Greensteel one or go back to the Damask one? (and one day acquire the +4 essence to damask)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

TimeAdept

Re: Using Improved Expertise Greensteel vs Damask

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:52 pm

If scimitar/rapier -> Greensteel

If not -> Damask

Later -> M. Damask no matter what imho

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Greensteel improves your crit range to 15-20. So if using improved expertise means you need to roll higher than 17 to hit your target, the extra crit range does nothing for you. I'd say its best to carry both and use the greensteel only when your ab is at it's prime.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Astral wrote:Greensteel improves your crit range to 15-20. So if using improved expertise means you need to roll higher than 17 to hit your target, the extra crit range does nothing for you. I'd say its best to carry both and use the greensteel only when your ab is at it's prime.
But i thought a critical was a automatic hit,or is it just the 20 even if you have a larger critcal range? If so i have been thinking it the wrong way all along o_o wich means using greensteel is making me hit even less
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:05 am

Edit*

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_hit
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Threat_roll

These two links explain it far better than I can.
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 am

taoofbalance wrote:Edit*

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_hit
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Threat_roll

These two links explain it far better than I can.
I got it now,thanks...then it seems Greensteel is only better when i'm not using IE even with a +4 essence because it hits less than a damask

Spaniardl

Post by Spaniardl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:08 pm

if you can cast a +5 greater magic weapon, that only works on mundane weapons right? and does that trump m. damask? thanks

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:41 pm

those links do not explain what happens when a threat roll fails

if your attack roll hits and is within the threat range (15-20) or w/e your threat range is .. regardless of the threat roll you get a hit (single dmg roll)

"When an attack roll is successful and within the threat range, a threat roll is made. If the threat roll succeeds, the hit is critical, and damage is rolled a number of times equal to the multiplier.
- nwn wiki age on critical hit"

Implies you get the critical dmg added to your hit that already connected if you succeed the threat roll .. As i understand it .. if you fail the threat roll, you still hit...

so what does that mean for using impexpertise with greensteel? .. increasing your threat range would widen the range of rolls you can get to a hit.. and roll threat.. even if you fail the threat roll you still hit but dont critical.

do I have that correct?
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

pigman

Post by pigman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:32 pm

If you dont beat the roll to bypass AC you dont hit, so you can only crit on say a 15-20 if rolling 15-20 also beats the AC

Unless i have that muddled or you are asking something else

Astral

Post by Astral » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Scenario 1: You have lots of ab and you hit your target on rolls of 12ish. in that case pushing your crit range towards the 12-20 makes sense.

Scenario 2: You have low ab and you need 18ish to hit your target (when using imp expertise for example). In that case you dont need more than 18-20 crit range because you dont hit at all with 17.

Scenario 3: You roll 20, you automatically hit no matter what your ab is but you only crit if you pass a following threat roll. In this case, again, you dont benefit from any improvements to your crit range.

* Threat roll is when you roll again against the target's ac, your crit range is irrelevant at that point.
* Note that greensteel and damask offer the same ab, so you dont actually hit less with greensteel, you just have 3 less damage.

I hope that was enough to relieve the fog that the nwn wiki can sometimes leave you in.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:08 am

yes.

I thought that "crits" were always hits.. so being able to crit on 15-20 lets say... then rolls of 15-20 were always hits with a chance to crit.

Thanks for the clarification.
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.