Trueflame Multiclass question

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

KeldonDonovans

Trueflame Multiclass question

Post by KeldonDonovans » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:55 pm

I tried searching the forums and even the wiki, but found nothing, so I figured I'd just check and this was probably the best place to check.

If I multiclass a trueflame character with another casting class, I am -assuming- that the evocation only restriction remains, but do the benefits? That is, do I retain infinite uses of that other classes evocation spells? I was considering a character concept focused around lightning, but would eventually want to use more spells than Gedlees, lightning bolt, and chain lightning. I was considering Storm of Vengeance and Call Lightning, but as they are on different spell lists, here I am asking the question. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Re: Trueflame Multiclass question

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:19 pm

I am pretty sure you get all the cons, but none of the benefits. In other words, you will only get infini casting for your trueflame lvls and all other casting classes will still be evocation only with limited spell slots. highly NOT recommended. You will not be able to use storm of vengeance scrolls even with lore as its conjuration.

I recommend being a shaman for several spell per day economy, with spontaneous metamagic can still be a lot of lightning.

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:19 pm
I am pretty sure you get all the cons, but none of the benefits. In other words, you will only get infini casting for your trueflame lvls and all other casting classes will still be evocation only with limited spell slots. highly NOT recommended. You will not be able to use storm of vengeance scrolls even with lore as its conjuration.

I recommend being a shaman for several spell per day economy, with spontaneous metamagic can still be a lot of lightning.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Thalion

Post by Thalion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:24 am

As an avid fan of the true flame path, dont multiclass as a caster. it will do more harm than good (and it does 100% prevent you from using anything other than evocation)

EDIT: its worth noting it completly bars you from non evo magic, that means items too ( you can still drink potions ) so multiclassing as say, a rogue for wands, will get you nowhere. if you do multiclass your going to want something with low investment to keep you CL high for your trueflame spells. since either caster level, or DCs will be what you are using. mind you can can take larger class dips if you are building only for DCs, but you will loose alot of damage output on some spells like IGMS (depending on the level spread)