Buffless wonder

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

ZombieDuck

Re: Buffless wonder

Post by ZombieDuck » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14dB ... IvFXc/editInteresting build.
Hadn't considered Naginata Monk/PM myself and it sure seems to work.
A bit sad to see the build lose almost all potential for summoning, but if you don't care about that it sure has the PM immunities and AC down while being able to hit stuff pretty hard.
Does the build use GMW scrolls with Naginata?
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:18 am

ZombieDuck wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 am
Does the build use GMW scrolls with Naginata?
I mean... you can. It would certainly help the sad ab, but I feel that Mdamask with perma essence has better dps at least in pve. I could be wrong on that one. Also, a neat thing about Naginata is that the damage bonus from enchantment bonus (bless weapon, blade thirst, curse weapon too...) stacks with the damage property on the weapon because of it's unique damage type, so you can use Mdamask and still get +2 damage from your curse weapon on this build.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:40 am

What I can't believe no-one mentioned here for un-buffed goodness is a straight, fisted, dex-monk. It may be a tad squishy on the way up, but properly geared at thirty, few other things are as ready to "fight tonight" with no preparation. There are plenty of monk variants that hit higher numbers on attacks, damage, or even ac, but if you build it right, it will have a very high native AB/AC combo, with some juicy bits like Epic Dodge and/or Blinding Speed thrown in there for good measure.

Edit: This thread progressed while typing.

Re: Revenant Weeb. Pretty sure you can't take Epic Mage Armor on a Monk level and I think, in fact, you would need to do this on an Epic PM feat? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Apparently there is Arelith trickery here that I am unaware of! Rock on you half-dead Weebs.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Ragir

Post by Ragir » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:07 am

I absolutely hate classes that need buffs. I think that is one thing that holds me back is that I typically like playing classes that don't buff and I don't go around trying to find potions or wands to buff up.

Maybe that is why I struggle at times.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:57 pm

I'll say here what I've said to a lot of players: You don't have to play like everyone else if you don't want to. You can enjoy Arelith and RP just fine without being a powerhouse of destruction. The RP is always more important than the mechanical power.

All that being said, restrictions on yourself based on preference alone will give you an extreme handicap. Let's say someone tells me they want to be a mage that uses ice spells exclusively for their offensive spells. Neat theme, glad it makes them happy, but in a fight against a mage using an unrestricted suite of magic: They will lose. If you are okay accepting that fact, more power to you. I applaud people that focus on RP above victory, but make sure you also are willing to roll with the collateral consequences.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Ragir

Post by Ragir » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:30 am

Bunnysmack wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:57 pm
I'll say here what I've said to a lot of players: You don't have to play like everyone else if you don't want to. You can enjoy Arelith and RP just fine without being a powerhouse of destruction. The RP is always more important than the mechanical power.

All that being said, restrictions on yourself based on preference alone will give you an extreme handicap. Let's say someone tells me they want to be a mage that uses ice spells exclusively for their offensive spells. Neat theme, glad it makes them happy, but in a fight against a mage using an unrestricted suite of magic: They will lose. If you are okay accepting that fact, more power to you. I applaud people that focus on RP above victory, but make sure you also are willing to roll with the collateral consequences.
Yeah I'm willing to suffer a bit because of not using buffs and that is okay by me. I totally agree with you that it is something that comes down to a person making a choice.

The key for me is that my character tends to avoid pvp at all costs. Actually he has talked himself out of every pvp situation he has been in.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:21 am

The Revenant Weeb is going to suck without buffs, especially while leveling. The low-ish AB means you need Bulls Strength, and the idea is that you get your AC from gearing and then using potions to boost your wisdom and dex, and by casting Epic Mage Armor.

Straxus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Straxus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:44 am

I myself am partial to rogues... great AC, great ranged and melee... don't need a lot of buffs... you can hide until you are ready to pounce!
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:46 am

30 BARB HORC

WHAT'S MY NAME? BARBARIAN RAGE

PRIMED AND READY

ENEMY IS CASTING BIGBY'S

OH NUTS

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Straight rogue 16th
Strength and Dex Buff. Bless weapon and stoneskin

At 12th was able to go places my 19th spellsword gets dropped 9 out of 10 times

Books of summoning are sometimes useful. But not always.

The move silently and hide are just key
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake