Cleric (Animal Domain)/Sorcerer

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

daimon_d_heart

Cleric (Animal Domain)/Sorcerer

Post by daimon_d_heart » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:20 am

Does animal domain only affect Summon Creature spells cast from the Cleric's spell book or does it affect all summon creature spells?

mjones3

Re: Cleric (Animal Domain)/Sorcerer

Post by mjones3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 am

Animal domain effects all summons, cleric or otherwise. But keep in mind that if you take Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration you get the same benefit as the domain here on Arelith.

From the wiki on the feat
Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration causes a caster to summon a creature one "level" higher than normal when using the Summon Creature I-VIII spells, in the same way as the bonus provided by the Cleric's Animal Domain. Note that Animal Domain and Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration do not stack. This feat will also allow the Summon Creature IX to summon a more powerful Ancient Elemental.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:54 am

Um they do stack... if you have both animal domain and greater spell focus conjuration your summons have more hp and ac then if you only have one or the other.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:44 pm

mjones3 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 am
Animal domain effects all summons, cleric or otherwise.
Are you sure? I mean.. why would Animal Domain affect arcane spells? Seems unintentional if it does and I wouldnt plan a sorcerer build around it.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:02 pm

If you have a cleric multiclass with animal domain it will effect even your arcane summons.

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:45 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:44 pm
mjones3 wrote:
Are you sure? I mean.. why would Animal Domain affect arcane spells? Seems unintentional if it does and I wouldnt plan a sorcerer build around it.
It works that way in NWN itself.. Its not an Arelith invention. I've played servers where it's not the worst idea for an arcanist or druid to take 1 cleric level with animal domain to boost summons and use their gear but they have totally different house rules.

I guess Arelith could disable it if it's seen as a cheat but taking 3 cleric levels on a wizard or sorcerer here is almost always a terrible idea so I expect it would be left alone.

daimon_d_heart

Post by daimon_d_heart » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:54 am

Spriggan Bride wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:45 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:44 pm
mjones3 wrote:
It works that way in NWN itself.. Its not an Arelith invention. I've played servers where it's not the worst idea for an arcanist or druid to take 1 cleric level with animal domain to boost summons and use their gear but they have totally different house rules.

I guess Arelith could disable it if it's seen as a cheat but taking 3 cleric levels on a wizard or sorcerer here is almost always a terrible idea so I expect it would be left alone.
Really? I'd think the CHA synergy between Sorcerer spells and Divine Might/Shield would be worth it. You could even get both if you're Human and take Cleric during your first three levels and go full sorcerer after that. Only thing that might be better would be Paladin, but I don't think there are any orders that allow a Paladin to cross class with a sorcerer. Pretty sure Mystra's order only allows them to cross class as Wizards.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 am

Exordius wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:54 am
Um they do stack... if you have both animal domain and greater spell focus conjuration your summons have more hp and ac then if you only have one or the other.
Oh damn they do? What's the boost for having the animal domain on top of the gsf. I'll add it to/fix the wiki.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:02 am

mjones3 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 am
Exordius wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:54 am
Oh damn they do? What's the boost for having the animal domain on top of the gsf. I'll add it to/fix the wiki.
+1 to all skills the summon has ranks in
+1 hit die worth of hit points (meaning, as if the creature was 1 level above in terms of HP, both adding base class HP and CON modifier).
+1 AB
+1 Damage
+1 AC
+1 Universal Saves

for every spell focus.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:39 am

Does Animal Domain add another of the same boost?

daimon_d_heart

Post by daimon_d_heart » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:49 am

As I understand it, Summon Creature I-IX (with the exception of Warlock summons) only gain the benefit of a higher tier summon if the caster has GSF Conjuration. ESF Conjuration also won't do any more than the vanilla affect. Adding the animal domain gives the higher tier summon and the boosts AB, Damage, Skills, etc. for each SF including ESF. I also think wizards that now specialize in Conjuration get the same effect as the Animal Domain with the other benefits that were added.

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:55 am

daimon_d_heart wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:54 am
Really? I'd think the CHA synergy between Sorcerer spells and Divine Might/Shield would be worth it. You could even get both if you're Human and take Cleric during your first three levels and go full sorcerer after that. Only thing that might be better would be Paladin, but I don't think there are any orders that allow a Paladin to cross class with a sorcerer. Pretty sure Mystra's order only allows them to cross class as Wizards.
I don't mean to start a whole builds debate but I think taking paladin or blackguard on a sorcerer makes sense as you get the mega bonus to saves, the discipline skill and, if you want to spend two feats and have 13 strength, divine shield. Cleric just gets divine shield. I don't want to talk you out of it if you see value in that mix but I don't think it's a wise recommendation on Arelith.

daimon_d_heart

Post by daimon_d_heart » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:35 am

Spriggan Bride wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:55 am
daimon_d_heart wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:54 am
I don't mean to start a whole builds debate but I think taking paladin or blackguard on a sorcerer makes sense as you get the mega bonus to saves, the discipline skill and, if you want to spend two feats and have 13 strength, divine shield. Cleric just gets divine shield. I don't want to talk you out of it if you see value in that mix but I don't think it's a wise recommendation on Arelith.
I double checked and Cleric can take Divine Might as well. If you're human (or an Orog), you can get Divine Might and Shield in your first three levels and get 27 caster levels of sorcerer. Makes me wish practiced spell caster was available.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:19 am

Clerics with Animal Domain and GSF Conjuration will summon an Ancient Elemental with +2 AB, +2 AC, etc when casting Summon Creature IX.
From Wiki, under Cleric.

Without GSF Conj, animal works just as GSF Conj, but without the Conj scaling stats. Having both nets you the above benefit.