Tormite with a greatsword

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

malcolm_mountainslayer

Tormite with a greatsword

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm

I was hopefuly with the dispel changes i could pull of a 23 pal 7 weaponmaster with green steel greatsword with multiple elements and blessed/holy sword casted on it. But it is WAY TOO FEAT starved.

I know people out there got some divine champion builds. Just wondering if somehow i can leverage being a LG Tormite with a greatsword and make it appealing.

Fargreze

Re: Tormite with a greatsword

Post by Fargreze » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 am

If you wanted to be an extreme offensive Divine Champion, you could do something like this:

https://ibb.co/txHzGMy

Lots of combat feats, poor AC (2H life though tbh), 49AB with buffs and a +3 Greatsword equipped, jumps to 56AB in Wrath. This will let you run most builds over with Improved Knockdown spam and Called Shot: Leg. The 16 int lets you get Spot to 33 and still get 30 Crafting Mastery to make your own dweomered gear, but you could lose it for a little more HP by gifting Con instead.
Skills are 33 Disc, 33 Lore, 4 Intimidate, 16 Spellcraft (cc'd for 32pts), 15 Tumble (cc'd for 30 pts), 33 Spot, 30 Craft Mastery, spare 4 Into Heal or something.

The 8th Fighter level in epics is to get you the bonus feat for Epic Weapon Specialization, wheras a 16th Divine Champion level would pick up +1 unisave at the cost of having to use another Epic feat for EWS... not worth it imo. You could also get really creative with this super late Fighter level and max your Intimidate skill for the new AoE 2AC debuff... probably don't do that.

If you didn't take Spot at all, you could drop ESF Lore and ESF Spot for two Greater Strengths for +1AB, +1Disc and +1Damage, but Spot needs an ESF if you're doing it (with True Seeing scrolls and Clairvoyance, you should be able to push it above 70 (33 ranks + 6 Gift of the Hunter + 10 ESF is already 49 with no gear), which will be a problem for most strength sneaks, many disguises, and you can also add another 10+ with gear if ESF Lore is covering your Lore skill). ESF Discipline is also never a bad choice - I like the thought of it on a build with such poor defenses: if every enemy attack is hitting, and they can afford to spam KD/Called Shot etc, you could really use bulletproof Disc, imo. ESF Disc seems more relevant again since the Maur boon was removed.

I would say you can also swap out ESF Lore for Epic Will if you really want crazy saves, and deal with Gearing 15 Lore instead of 5 to get Word of Faith scroll access. With Con, Dex and Will buffed, you're at 34 Fort, 29 Ref and 22 Will before Spellcraft (and Wrath will boost them by another 7 for the duration). You're nearing the +20 cap at that point and in this case, only Epic Will can push you any higher after you have ~25 Spellcraft. Protection from Alignment, Good Hope, and these other little boons to saves are out there too.

The downside is you won't have access to wands. Examples of crafting skill splits that will let you make Dust of Disappearance for yourself, and some other things like Freedom of Movement potions, some zoo potions, dusty rose skleens for 1AC shield-type, etc (look at the DCs for this stuff on the wiki if you care, or just be a smith and buy all your magical effects, idk):

Good for Healkits as well as Dusts...

Art Crafting: 1
Carpentry: 1
Tailoring: 1
Smithing: 13
Herbalism: 33
Alchemy: 22

Might be better buying kits, but independent at cutting gems for your alchemy stuff (better imo):

Alchemy: 22
Art Crafting: 20
Carpentry: 1
Herbalism: 14
Smithing: 13
Tailoring: 1

It's not a Paladin, but it is a Divine Champion of Torm with amazing offense. Improved Disarm will be good with a greatsword, giving you large AB bonuses to hit against enemies with small or tiny weapons. You can always spam it at no cost unless the enemy also has a large weapon. When Wrath is off, it's still a 49AB (50 if you go the Great Strength x2 route) Greatsword Weaponmaster. It has a lot of tools at the cost of defenses that were already going to be subpar on any 2H without Divine Shield. You won't be soloing, and it's up to you whether you can live without wands (i love them).

If you want a more rounded build with more AB/AC control, look into Rogue/Knight/Divine Champion (which gets wands - Barkskin from wand is 4AC, so you gain 1) and another 3 from full Tumble; then you add things like Vanguard path's Fear for -4AB/AC/Saves on the enemy. On that build, you could take Exotic Prof to 1H a Bastard Sword and Shield for soloing. You still may not have "good" defenses with the Greatsword equipped, but taking off 4AB is something, and you'd be pretty versatile.

AstralUniverse

Re: Tormite with a greatsword

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:40 am

That gear override in your cbc looks nice.

Also, in that build, I recommend trading a feat for Exotic prof, so you can use bastardsword or katana with shield for more ac situations in pve and such. Likely worth trading called shot for that, imo.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too