Are two handed melee weapons worth it?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Good Character

Re: Are two handed melee weapons worth it?

Post by Good Character » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:18 pm

Helsing wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:07 pm
I cannot find enchanted shield on wiki, is it a random loot or just not shown on wiki? if it's a random loot imo it shouldn't be count because there's no steady way to get it... Also you remind me of the fact that parrying with one-hand weapon is just worse than wielding tower shield because you invested 30 parry to only get same or less AC if wielding normal tower shield(or aegis), so it make more sense to give tower shield -1 ab.
https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Armor#Tower_Shield

Enchanted Shield is a large shield +4 Shield AC.

Tower shield require the Shield proficiency, weigh a significant amount, and difficult to craft for top-tier shields.

Shield AC just requires you to dump points into a skill, and it has a secondary use.

Once again, what is your argument to justify this sudden and random nerf to tower shields specifically? Are you backing it with some actual numbers?

bagindawud

Post by bagindawud » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:38 am

Buffing 2 handed weapons to get +2 AB would give more weapon build diversity, an incentive so people would venture to try unique weapons,,, not just 1h edged .

More would be incentivized to use greatswords, axe, diremace, halberds, etc. What a wonderful pve/pvp experience it would be.

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:41 am

Two handed weapon used to give +2AB bonus when wielded and i believed that it was only reduced to +1AB this year.
I'm not aware of the reason behind this change though which i simply guess, will be balance reasons.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:45 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:55 am

2h sacrifices defense for offense which can be devastating if built properly. classes that can get away with less or no ac ( barbarians, hexblades, palemasters ) etc. it's a lot easier to play a 1h ac character and a lot more forgiving hence why its logical for it be less popular, but the options for 2h are absolutely there. ultimately if you are to choose to play a 2h it's best done in a group since your friends can make up for your reduced defense both in pvp and pve.

Chiming in a bit late to the thread but the post above sums up the situation perfectly. There are definitely situations on some classes and build architypes in which going 1handed is the inferior choice. 1handed is just naturally more popular because it facilitates solo-play with less reliance on finding a party. We have Guard in this game. In a world where hypothetically anyone could get a party-on-demand at any time, I'm pretty sure we would be asking if 1h weapons are worth it. When you do get a party as a 2hander you carry them so much harder and in pvp 2h builds are scary. One lucky flurry and it's over.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

IAmSwampFoot

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:01 am

I'll have to check with a bastard sword sometime, but I currently play a one-hand edged focused dwarf with a dwarven waraxe. I can put the shield away and two hand that without losing (or gaining) AB but I gain much more on damage (especially criticals). I have AC on demand (at a cost of damage) when I need it.

Of course, upper levels of Earthkin Defender can walk around naked in a lot of places and shrug off most PvE enemies.