Berserk Guts build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Senshi
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Berserk Guts build

Post by Senshi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 pm

Gday,

Me again.

So i wanna make a Mercenary Character heavily based off guts from the berserk manga (my fav manga). This was not exactly possible before the gul lvl14 start as i wanted him to have a good background and skills to support it. Cant exactly say im a weathered merc at level2..

He will have a prosthetic left arm and a eye patch as he lost his eye (backstory on why is made). He will use greatsword, throwing daggers and wands if possible. Using light armor and will focus on blacksmithing weapons. He will be NE, CN, OR CE. He will be a merc after all. not exactly a good guy. He also lives to kill and to become a deadlier being.

He is a Black Swordsman. Dark energies are part of him due to how much he has killed.

What do you guys think? I know there is allot of amazing build makers out there, can you help?

Main requirements. Greatsword, blacksmithing and solo viable pvp(within reason) and pve. Obviously like everyone wants, high dmg and survival.

Ive been suggested pure fighter or deep barb. Hex looks cool but i dunno if it will meet the needs.
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

Skarain

Re: Berserk Guts build

Post by Skarain » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:43 am

I think your earlier suggestions are good. Fighter, Barbarian and Hexblade all seem to fit the bill. Blackguard and Hexblade count as "dark powers infusing your soul". The later two both gain Dark Blessing, which boosts your saves, which is always good.

Hexblade works best for the "accursed" theme, I think, with Curse Weapon and Hex. You can RP it as a subconcious thing; he does not use those "abilities", it is just what happens due to the dark powers. Also, quote from wiki. "Hexblade curse weapon visual effects only applies if the Hexblade is level 21 or higher.", so if you keep your Hexblade levels below 20, there is no visible magic effects.

Hexblades also get a nice Medium armor, which to be fair you should go for. "Accursed Chains". Light Armor and Greatsword are not that good of a match, since for the sword you want STR, but for Ligth armor you want DEX. Medium armors are a good go-inbetween. Stats are available in the wiki, under armors.

Accursed Chains is also one of the highest AC Medium Armors in the game. To balance that out they have a special property, "does not work with Divine Shield". Since all the magic of your character "infuses your soul", using such an ability actively would undermine the concept, so the armor works perfectly. Also, the theme of the armor is very..... well, soaked in blood. Sounds fitting for a Berserker.

Hezblade is also an Arcane class, so while it does not grant UMD for wands, it can innately use Arcane Wands, and you can suppliment the two missing Divine buffs via "Potion of Freedom of Movement & Death Ward". No crafted potion for NEP, sadly, but loot potions exist. You can also get a Pixie pet like in that image, though it wont be THAT good if not investing too many levels.

So yes.... my suggestion would be to go deep Barbarian, grab good Rage feats, and suppliment with Hexblade and Fighter. I do not have a precise build, but that recepe should fit the bill.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:56 am

Depends. Are you going for an earlier version of Guts, or the newer one?

Older one would probably be best recreated with something like a heavy barbarian/rogue with as much DR as you can get. Aside from the usual massive strength, a lot of early-Guts stuff went around finding ways to outwit enemies, either by baiting them into a disadvantageous situation, utilizing the terrain or tools on hand to create an opening, or straight up ambushing them.

Later Guts probably would fit more with something like a barb/hexblade to fit the whole "cursed weapon/armor" bit.

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:07 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:56 am
Depends. Are you going for an earlier version of Guts, or the newer one?

Older one would probably be best recreated with something like a heavy barbarian/rogue with as much DR as you can get. Aside from the usual massive strength, a lot of early-Guts stuff went around finding ways to outwit enemies, either by baiting them into a disadvantageous situation, utilizing the terrain or tools on hand to create an opening, or straight up ambushing them.

Later Guts probably would fit more with something like a barb/hexblade to fit the whole "cursed weapon/armor" bit.
Post eclipse for sure. It would be at level 14 Gul start, so he would have already been effected by darkness of past.

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:09 am

Skarain wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:43 am
I think your earlier suggestions are good. Fighter, Barbarian and Hexblade all seem to fit the bill. Blackguard and Hexblade count as "dark powers infusing your soul". The later two both gain Dark Blessing, which boosts your saves, which is always good.

Hexblade works best for the "accursed" theme, I think, with Curse Weapon and Hex. You can RP it as a subconcious thing; he does not use those "abilities", it is just what happens due to the dark powers. Also, quote from wiki. "Hexblade curse weapon visual effects only applies if the Hexblade is level 21 or higher.", so if you keep your Hexblade levels below 20, there is no visible magic effects.

Hexblades also get a nice Medium armor, which to be fair you should go for. "Accursed Chains". Light Armor and Greatsword are not that good of a match, since for the sword you want STR, but for Ligth armor you want DEX. Medium armors are a good go-inbetween. Stats are available in the wiki, under armors.

Accursed Chains is also one of the highest AC Medium Armors in the game. To balance that out they have a special property, "does not work with Divine Shield". Since all the magic of your character "infuses your soul", using such an ability actively would undermine the concept, so the armor works perfectly. Also, the theme of the armor is very..... well, soaked in blood. Sounds fitting for a Berserker.

Hezblade is also an Arcane class, so while it does not grant UMD for wands, it can innately use Arcane Wands, and you can suppliment the two missing Divine buffs via "Potion of Freedom of Movement & Death Ward". No crafted potion for NEP, sadly, but loot potions exist. You can also get a Pixie pet like in that image, though it wont be THAT good if not investing too many levels.

So yes.... my suggestion would be to go deep Barbarian, grab good Rage feats, and suppliment with Hexblade and Fighter. I do not have a precise build, but that recepe should fit the bill.
That does fit well.

I know very little about melee feats. So I'll have to learn the best ones and see what I can figure out.

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:54 pm

Still unsure how to build a solid one.

Any help?

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:29 am

Usually you can get a faster reply in the Discord server, under #character_build_advice. Especially if you ask in small pieces that are easier to respond to.

Anyhow.....

From melee feats, the essentials are
• Weapon Focus
• Expertise
• Improved Expertise (if room)
• Blind Fighting
• Improved Critical (if room)

In epics:
• Epic Weapon Focus
• Armor Skin (if room)
• Epic Prowess (if room)

If fighter:
• Weapon Specialization
• Epic Weapon Specialization

Barbarian:
• Rage Feats (don't remember all from top of my head)
• Epic Damage Reduction (if CON high enough, and if room)

Someone will disagree with my priorities. I typically do not build melee. I suggest you ask more in discord and use spreadsheets to build.

Beard Master Flex

Post by Beard Master Flex » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 pm

I played a 24 Barb / 3 Ranger / 3 Bard (Warlock)

This was prior to the recent feat requirement adjustments and such so it would be even more powerful now as I could have more AB/Damage at the cost of 60HP

Ranger let you use the Runic Leather Armor for a tiny bit more AC and some RP cookies plus an extra (much needed) feat

Bard/Warlock gets you your tumble and spell craft and UMD

I went all the EDR feats but in hindsight I'd probably drop one or all of them for Mighty Rage now. I took Armor Skin.

I had 850HP While Raging, something like 14DR and AB in the high 40's that could be buffed over into the 50's. It'd have even more AB now that I didnt have to spend so much CON in order to get EDR as that traded a lot more Strength then I would have liked.

I could solo most high end content except for a couple of the bosses you'd expect a Mundane to need a hand with.

I cant recall the AC exactly but it was pretty darn high for a 2h, I'd reach 50 or 51 AC fully buffed, more with Expertise.

Not the strongest build ever, probably traded some offense for the other little cookies I wanted but I could hold my own and found PvP vs other Melee beasts came down to whoever got lucky with Crits and such.

Crazy high AC builds were more dangerous but they also had a harder time chewing through my 1000HP (with Healer Temp HP) and high saves.

If I could do it over again I'd probably go for 1h and shield for more AC but at the same time it was unreal to just always be carrying a big axe and are good to go literally at the drop of a hat.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:11 am

I think the most valuable question here is - do you want to have this fit his CHARACTER or his Aesthetics? Guts is a character who is opposed to his own aesthetics as an individual. He wouldn't be a hexblade or a blackguard, unless you could rp a hexblade as wielding those powers in a desperate bid to stave off some other catastrophe to their own person. I'm fairly certain that hexblades are usually willing users of their own abilities, however.

I'd actually say a non tribal barbarian would be your ideal. WM/barb even, maybe- though I'm not sure how viable that might be, that would DEFINITELY fit guts.
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:56 am

Tyvm for all your suggestions.

im moving away from hex and testing Deep barb variants now.

Ill most likely be playing this character with my gf so it will be awhile before she can get the game.

I have time to test more.

I found HEX seemed to be a semi wasted dip as i didn't see much increase in any state.

I tried barb/fighter and that was really good.

Ill give barb/wm a go next.