Healer Cleric Domains

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MRFTW

Healer Cleric Domains

Post by MRFTW » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:45 am

With Protection and Death domains being nerfed, I'm curious as to what sort of domains people think is optimal on healers now.

Plant, animal and war all seem good, especially for summoners, since clerics without animal/war domain don't get access to cat's grace outside of wands. Barkskin in particular gives +5 natural, which would be impossible to get without native casting or loremaster+wands. Cat's grace might just be a QoL thing, since scrolls and wands are so readily available.

What do you guys think? What domains have been upped in viability with death and protection being brought more in line?

Due to the nature of clerics, it's probably helpful to say what sort of WIS/CHA scores you'd be looking at with the domains, if applicable. Some of the domains become infinitely better with moderate or higher CHA.

Skarain

Re: Healer Cleric Domains

Post by Skarain » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:36 am

Travel will always be king, due to the myriad of uses. Haste permits faster travel, faster spellcasting, more attacks on target, more AC and reduces Buffdancing duration to half.

Trickery grants Improved Invisibility, one of the strongest defensive spells in the game.

Other than that, it is like you said. Animal, Plant, War are still very good domains. Protection is still decent, just not as long duration as before.

I wish there was more viable variety, but it was discussed in length not too long ago in another thread.

There migth be some changes coming, judging by the teasers in "coming soon to arelith" thread in General. Most of the recent hints are priestly in theme.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:16 pm

Travel and Trickery most definitely. At least until the domains get a rework.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:32 pm

I'd unironically still do death & protection.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Well seems there are domain changes incoming! That was faster then I expected, but not unwelcome!

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Well seems there are domain changes incoming! That was faster then I expected, but not unwelcome!
Indeed, i had thought after the new city and the time update the devs would be taking a year or two off to relax but seems its petal to the metal.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 am

Perhaps I'll ask again when the dust has settled. :)

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 am

Exordius wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:34 pm
Indeed, i had thought after the new city and the time update the devs would be taking a year or two off to relax but seems its petal to the metal.
All things are done by different people!

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:37 am

Aniel wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 am
Exordius wrote:
You're telling me that it's not just 1 hamster on a wheel behind the entity called "Arelith Dev Team"? :o

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Kenji wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:37 am
Aniel wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 am
Exordius wrote:

You're telling me that it's not just 1 hamster on a wheel behind the entity called "Arelith Dev Team"? :o

Clearly the truth has now been leaked and the rising myth of the mighty dev hamster 🐹 Boo put to rest.
Last edited by Edens_Fall on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:12 am

Great, now everyone knows Kenji is actually a hamster.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:10 am

Well, what do we think?

Plant and animal looks like an amazing combo for conj/ trans healers.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:13 pm

I'm drooling on death domain . . . .

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:15 pm

War/Plant melee q-staff STR healer-monk with ESF Transmutation emphasis. Deafening Clang + War Cry is another +2 AB and +9 damage. Can trade Plant for Trickery for longer, more accessible Improved Invisibility in-exchange for losing Nature's Balance and +1 AC.

52 AC w/ no haste or expertise, post-50s AB once buffed with Cleric-based spells (i.e. Aid, War Cry, Prayer, Divine Power, Divine Favor, etc.), and approximately 38-40 damage per hit.

Even better on a deep gnome at the expense of 1 AB for 2 more AC. 5 more damage per hit with a club being used.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm

If we look at the standard protection domain healer build, it basically just got free haste and lost nothing as far as I can see... I'd say protection domain cha healer is still the go-to healer build. There's more game with the second domain now. The ones currently seem more appealing to me personally for Healer are Plant for Barksin, Healing for empowered healing spells, Trickery for imp invis, Undeath for neg burst and more summons, and stuff with Premonition.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too