Illusion shadow summons viable?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Senshi
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Illusion shadow summons viable?

Post by Senshi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:00 pm

As title

I have experience playing with undead summons and they are pretty good at soloing and tanking.

My question is, are illusion focus shadow summons as good? Are they able to solo and tank just as well?

Thematically they are awesome, just wondering practically.
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

Drowboy

Re: Illusion shadow summons viable?

Post by Drowboy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 am

Nope. Their duration is incredibly short. Think of them like mesmer clones in GW2: they're a temporary distraction and debuff, and they're pretty good at it, generally (crippling strike and IKD are good)

But they're short duration and most useful on something like feylock that can throw them out all the time.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 am

They have high concealment, nonexistant damage, average hit points. As stated, they are a distraction, a CC. Highly disruptive but not very damaging.

They are also always medium, so you cant do a small race combo of shades plus tentacle spells. Havent tested if their outsider immunities would combo well with another aoe spell.

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:13 pm

that sucks.. :(
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Skarain wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 am
They have high concealment, nonexistant damage, average hit points. As stated, they are a distraction, a CC. Highly disruptive but not very damaging.

They are also always medium, so you cant do a small race combo of shades plus tentacle spells. Havent tested if their outsider immunities would combo well with another aoe spell.
if their ai got fixed it would. They currently act more violently that shadow dancer summons and normal summons for when you do friendly AoE and they turn on you with crippling strike blows. If it were not for that, I would love them as they can get impressive ab and APR with mass haste. Vampires definitely get the job done better though.