Monk questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Jof

Monk questions

Post by Jof » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi im currently running this build (( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1933147000 ))
Its a drow and i pack everything into dex should i put some points into str to increase damage ? I use fists and weapon finesse. What general tips you got for monks ? Any monk/magican builds ?

AstralUniverse

Re: Monk questions

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:10 pm

What do you mean exactly by "put points into str"? You can use gear with some str after you've got gear of 7 dex, con and wis in total. You definitely dont invest in *hard* str on level ups. You need your 26 ending dex very much.

As for the build. It's probably one of the very few go-to monk builds currently. So you're fine. No need to change anything. It's a very good build.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Monk/"magician" build can be the 26 Hexblade/Monk or 27 Spellsword/Monk. The latter fits the "magician" concept more.

Jof

Post by Jof » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:32 pm

I mean what to do to get more dmg ? I already enchanted my gaunlets with sonic and divine dmg :D Thanks for responses guys

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:39 pm

With Monk, there are a few things you can do low level to help. There are a few npc merchants who sell gloves with an AB bonus that are useful but you need to find them in game. Those should get enchanted, temp essence, permanent essence. You can also craft some decent damage gloves, especially the negative energy ones. Most of your damage early on is going to be elemental. Monks don't hit solid fist damage until the epic levels. You are really playing a quantity over quality game with monks, lots of little hits and super high AC early on means you just whittle down your opponents until you can get the ki fists at higher levels.

Strength should just come from a potion. All your gear needs to go into Con, Dex and Wisdom as others have said. On a dex/monk build, your game is surviving and outlasting your opponent.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:30 pm

Jof wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:32 pm
I mean what to do to get more dmg ? I already enchanted my gaunlets with sonic and divine dmg :D Thanks for responses guys
Your damage sources are:
base unarmed dice - 1d20
Disciple Wraps (best gloves) - 6 physical, 1d4 divine
permanent essence - 4 positive
20th monk damage bonus - 3
epic weapon specialization - 6
improved ki - 2 for every feat (4 damage total)
temporary essence - 1d6
strength - around 4 or 5 damage eventually.

This means your average damage on hit at lvl 30 is 44~. It's pretty good. you'll be critting 100+ sometimes. Monks have great defenses and very high utility. You shouldnt expect to have more damage than this.

While leveling the character in early levels, there's little more to do after you have masterly brass knuckles with +4 essence on them. Your damage scales higher as you level up. When you get to level 16 your damage is very very high for that level relatively.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:33 am

Can also make use of Silver Bell which allows mundanes (like monks) to use Battletide for 7 rounds. Another +2 AB and damage.

Jof

Post by Jof » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:33 am

Ok cool thanks for responses guys where do i get these items and how to use essense on my fists ? I was thinking also about using kukri or kama for enchant hit bonus ? Or it is better to specialize in fists

EDIT: ok i know now these need to be crafted or bought so these wraps are best gaunlets in whole server ?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Best gloves in the server.
And dont use kama or kukri, ever. Kamas are good for builds who invest in two-weapon fighting feats and have only few monk lvls. But you get better damage with fists because you have lots of monk lvls. Kukri is not good for monk at all. Kukri is good for... I dont even know who. It's a good weapon in terms of damage output but it's 'tiny' size, it's exotic proficiency so it costs a feat, and generally doesnt have good synergy with just about any builds in this server because for most of them Falchion is a better option (with the one exception of Invisible Blade class).
Svrtr wrote: