End Game Rogue Gear

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

End Game Rogue Gear

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:30 pm

I've always struggled with knowing what gear I should have. Typically I wear pretty plain+1 dex rings, cloaks, etc. that I find on the floor.

What kind of equipment would you put on a rogue that's getting close to level thirty? (i have five blackguard levels and care primarily about stealth, traps and doing damage in melee in case it matters).

I've read about the rogue leathers item which seems interesting, but I'm skeptical because despite its awesome abilities leather armor tends to cause issues with Max Dex.

The cloak of the basilisk also seems cool and I'm wondering if it's powerful enough for an end game character.

Skarain

Re: End Game Rogue Gear

Post by Skarain » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:10 pm

Wiki is your friend. http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Armor and the same for weapons contain a lot of data.

Now..... assuming you have a DEX of 26, buffed 38, 25 Rogue levels and 5 Blackguard levels... you have options.

Rogues have a Ligthly Armored specizl feature that allows them to gain AC lost to armor dex cap as dodge AC. It is capped at AC/4 rogue levels. With 25 Rogue, the cap is 5 Dodge AC for a DEX modifier that exceeds Armor Dex cap.

Assuming you have 38 buffed DEX and UMD to take Murderers Raiment, that is Cloth with +3 AC. DEX 38 = 14 + 3 armor AC = 17 AC.

With Armor of Immolation (Padded, so 1 + 8 dex cap) = add in 5 Dodge AC over that 8, plus +4 Armor AC = 1+8+5+4 = 18 AC, fire resist, elemental shield spam.

Displacer Beast Armor or Rogues Leathers (Leather, so 2 + 6 dex cap) = add in 5 Dodge AC over that 6, plus +4 Armor AC = 2+6+5+4 = 17 AC.

Studded Armor, Draconic Armor (Studded, so 3 + 4 dex cap )... same old math, +5 Armor AC = 3+4+5+5 = 17 AC. Studded armor does have a skill penalty so probably not that.

As for weapons, it depends what focus you have and if you have enough UMD to take UMD locked items. Some racial weapons require UMD 30, but give +4 AB and Keen for free, like Dale Sword(shortsword) or Dead Mans Cross (dagger). Migth also be some niche cases in where a rare loot drop is better, but usually the best gear available is crafted.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:37 pm

My 25 rogue 5 bg wears gear of +1 dex, con, cha, will save, +2 discipline +2 spot. It's all soft 5% and the final stat is masterwork rune. Costly and took a while but totally worth it. You also get 'stray' stats from your armor, shield and helmet, from runic properties, so you can even fit in some Rings of Stealth or ring of will +3, and stuff like that. I use Armor of the Wilds. I use masterly damask rapier and fencing buckler. I also have a moonblade and dead man's cross, which I almost never find useful.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Skarain wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Wiki is your friend. http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Armor and the same for weapons contain a lot of data.

Now..... assuming you have a DEX of 26, buffed 38, 25 Rogue levels and 5 Blackguard levels... you have options.

Rogues have a Ligthly Armored specizl feature that allows them to gain AC lost to armor dex cap as dodge AC. It is capped at AC/4 rogue levels. With 25 Rogue, the cap is 5 Dodge AC for a DEX modifier that exceeds Armor Dex cap.

Assuming you have 38 buffed DEX and UMD to take Murderers Raiment, that is Cloth with +3 AC. DEX 38 = 14 + 3 armor AC = 17 AC.

With Armor of Immolation (Padded, so 1 + 8 dex cap) = add in 5 Dodge AC over that 8, plus +4 Armor AC = 1+8+5+4 = 18 AC, fire resist, elemental shield spam.

Displacer Beast Armor or Rogues Leathers (Leather, so 2 + 6 dex cap) = add in 5 Dodge AC over that 6, plus +4 Armor AC = 2+6+5+4 = 17 AC.

Studded Armor, Draconic Armor (Studded, so 3 + 4 dex cap )... same old math, +5 Armor AC = 3+4+5+5 = 17 AC. Studded armor does have a skill penalty so probably not that.

As for weapons, it depends what focus you have and if you have enough UMD to take UMD locked items. Some racial weapons require UMD 30, but give +4 AB and Keen for free, like Dale Sword(shortsword) or Dead Mans Cross (dagger). Migth also be some niche cases in where a rare loot drop is better, but usually the best gear available is crafted.
Yes, you got my dexterity right. It's nice to see I have options! Rogue leathers seem the most compelling so far now that you've cleared up the max dex issue for me. Forgot rogues had the ability to gain some AC back.

For weapons I'm going to use handaxes for flavor and aesthetic reasons. A hair suboptimal, but I don't care. 😊

Edit: why will my dexterity be 38 when fully buffed? Is there a limit to how high you can get your dex with spells, items, etc.? The game has many intricacies I still don't understand.
Last edited by Waldo52 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:37 pm
My 25 rogue 5 bg wears gear of +1 dex, con, cha, will save, +2 discipline +2 spot. It's all soft 5% and the final stat is masterwork rune. Costly and took a while but totally worth it. You also get 'stray' stats from your armor, shield and helmet, from runic properties, so you can even fit in some Rings of Stealth or ring of will +3, and stuff like that. I use Armor of the Wilds. I use masterly damask rapier and fencing buckler. I also have a moonblade and dead man's cross, which I almost never find useful.
This is interesting. I didn't know anyone else on Arelith was doing a 5BG 25 Rogue build!

I never considered the possibility of just getting a ton of +1 cha +1 dex +1 cha items, honestly never thought it was possible to get so many ability score buffs on a single item. I might just do the same thing.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:05 pm

You can only increase your STATS by items/magic to a total score of "12". It is represented by that Green number that comes after you buff your base stats with gear. As result, someone with DEX 26 (before gear) can only reach DEX 38 (+12 bonus), and same with all stats.

In regards to multi-stat gear, here is something that might be handy. Save it somewhere on your PC.

Enchanting is done by Wizards, Sorcerers, other Spellcasters with enough caster levels and crafting feats, or "mundanes" who invested 30 points into "Craft Mastery".

"Godsave" can proc once every 2 hours, providing the enchanter has not done anything to invoke the Godsave in that time.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:38 pm

Skarain wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:05 pm
You can only increase your STATS by items/magic to a total score of "12". It is represented by that Green number that comes after you buff your base stats with gear. As result, someone with DEX 26 (before gear) can only reach DEX 38 (+12 bonus), and same with all stats.

In regards to multi-stat gear, here is something that might be handy. Save it somewhere on your PC.

Enchanting is done by Wizards, Sorcerers, other Spellcasters with enough caster levels and crafting feats, or "mundanes" who invested 30 points into "Craft Mastery".

"Godsave" can proc once every 2 hours, providing the enchanter has not done anything to invoke the Godsave in that time.
Woah, what a consider my concise and helpful reference. Thanks!!!

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
This is interesting. I didn't know anyone else on Arelith was doing a 5BG 25 Rogue build!

I never considered the possibility of just getting a ton of +1 cha +1 dex +1 cha items, honestly never thought it was possible to get so many ability score buffs on a single item. I might just do the same thing.
You can do items of just +1 dex, con and cha quite cheap (although, do remember this is not end-game gear and your Discipline will suck with that gear). You make items of +1 dex/con and then use a lesser rune on the item so it gets a runic property for your +1 cha. Estimated cost for such item can be lower than 30k, depending on the rune's price.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:24 pm
Waldo52 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:

You can do items of just +1 dex, con and cha quite cheap (although, do remember this is not end-game gear and your Discipline will suck with that gear). You make items of +1 dex/con and then use a lesser rune on the item so it gets a runic property for your +1 cha. Estimated cost for such item can be lower than 30k, depending on the rune's price.
Nice !