Generic Ranger Questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Generic Ranger Questions

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm supposed to start a new side character with a friend tonight, he's a ranger and I have a few questions.

1) Some ranger feats seem to be selectable in place of a favored enemy. If you give up a new favored enemy by selecting something different will your existing favored enemies get stronger?

Example: Favored enemy is supposed to give a bonus of + 1 (lvl 1), + 2 (lvl5), +3 (lvl 10).

If at level 10 you took spell focus or some other ranger feat substitute instead of favored enemy, will your first two FEs still be at +3?

2) Are there any feats you would suggest for a dex based ranger? I'm going 27 ranger/3 rogue and am torn between dex TWF, dex archery and dex switch hitter with archery path and I know the basic nuts and bolts feats of such builds (weapon finesse, blind fight, expertise, improved critical, weapon focus, etc.) but am wondering if there are any spell foci or weird feats I should consider.

AstralUniverse

Re: Generic Ranger Questions

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:22 pm

1) No. The bonuses remain the same according to your ranger level and if you have Bane of Enemies. The number of favoured/studied enemies is unrelated.

2) Well, first of all, you dont actually need to take two-weapon fighting feats to play dex ranger. Clarifying just in case. You get all 3 relevant feats for free if you use light/cloth armor. The one exception would be qualifying for invisible blade which require just the Two weapon fighting.

And yeah, I actually recommend you take invisible blade instead of rogue there. It will get you the Tumble dip and offer you a deceptively good side damage source.
Last edited by AstralUniverse on Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:39 pm

2) having played a archer/rogue I can say that while they can be fun in some circumstance then I found them very lackluster on their own. My idea for a character was a hit'n'run tracker/trapper and if I got the chance to remake the toon from scratch then I would have picked normal path and not the Archer one. The only thing archer path gives you is +3 damage on ranged attacks and some feats that I really didn't use that much if any at all. Not what I consider worth swapping +3 DDW for. The Craft ammo feat used to be Archer specific but this has been changed such that everyone with the weapon focus: missile/thrown get the craft ammo feat.

Consider picking up Extend spell since this allows you to prepare your Blade Thirst spell in your 3rd and 4th circle spellbook. You can get Awaken from Leafwalkers Token and you only need to cast Greater Magic Fang once per rest.
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 pm

If you are open to suggestions, the new feats for strength ranger make it a very viable build to solo or team and going 30 or 27 ranger 3 ib on strength will give you a lot to work with. You can pm me for clearer suggestions.

Otherwise on ranger I usually recommend gsf abjuration for quality of life in epic content to avoid missile spam from npcs.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 am

Well, good news! The session/ new characters have been canceled and I won't be making this guy!

I'm still glad for the advice though, I'll be making a ranger eventually and have your wise words bookmarked.