Druid - Shapechanger (Dragon?)

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Vistock

Druid - Shapechanger (Dragon?)

Post by Vistock » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:39 pm

Hello Everyone,
I´m new to Arelith and I´m thinking of playing a Shapechanger druid taking the Animal totem path, Could anyone help me with a solid build/Blueprint?
Thank you very much!

Jagel

Re: Druid - Shapechanger (Dragon?)

Post by Jagel » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:25 pm

Hopefully I can make a more elaborate post (or maybe someone will beat me to it) at some point but here is the lowdown:

Pure druid is the best without totem shape. The -4 to physical stats is just so severe a penalty and endgame you won’t be using totem shape as elemental shape is much, much more viable and has infinite uses.

If you want a shapechanger the primary build has been lvl 30 druid with epic DR I-III. It beefs up the already strong (and crit/sneak immune elementals)

Totem druids can be fun, but play one because you like the rp and the aestethics and not for optimal build reasons.

And dragon shape is “meh”.

Vistock

Post by Vistock » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 pm

Thank you very much for the tips!
Making my Druid Right this moment!
*cheers*

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:07 pm

Totems do speed leveling along as you're very powerful in those shapes early on. They also make all of your summons your kind of animal and if you're going for aesthetics there's not much cooler than playing a pack of rats or a murder of crows (with elemental swarm you get 4 summons plus your companion and yourself.) Your monolith shape doesn't suffer the physical penalty so it is manageable later on, but I won't lie having like 4 strength in humanoid form can be a pain and get you killed if you don't manage your buffs (ie being caught without or losing bulls strength & freedom of movement makes you a heavily encumbered statue)

The physical penalties do suck and make it difficult to go for EDR, or at least make it so you can't max wisdom as well, but totem druids are viable if they really appeal to you, you're just not playing the absolutely optimal character. No matter what on any druid you ought to go pure for the level 28 monoliths unless you're chasing a really specific RP gimmick.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:38 pm

my current main character is also a Druid! lv12, with a few buffs druids are strong, but watch out for teammates as they may get crushed under spell.. with a good str the bear shape is formidable.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:23 am

Ultimately you're looking at a minimum of 25 levels of the druid class (25 wisdom base required), you can go pure 30 for the monolith shape which plenty will argue is better.

You get 3-5 levels you can splice with other classes if you're willing to sacrifice that monolith shape however.
Knight being a first example that comes to mind allowing the unique ability on 1st Knight level to guard your own summon/companion creature or guard an additional team member. It does require a pre-requisite Skill Focus Discipline to take the class. (It also allows you to take a 'detect skill' like listen, along with the discipline skill for your build. The better benefits of the class are post level 5 so you'll get only a part of the benefits of the whole class.)
http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Knight

With totems especially getting rather high Armor Class and lower Attack Bonus and attacks per round, tanking tense to be an important focus. You can take totem on creation or via a few of the NPCs in game.

There are a lot of different ways to play the class, with and without totem. You'll eventually unlock spells like Spell Resistance and regenerate to help keep party member's more healthy and protected.

If you want something specific to do damage with or otherwise, you can always ask.
Pure druid build example (from the Arelith wiki for builds): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MS8 ... sp=sharing
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)