Umber Hulks Silliness

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Umber Hulks Silliness

Post by Waldo52 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:39 am

I'm not super familiar with the mechanics of polymorph self. To the best of my memory in standard non-Arelith neverwinter it starts as a decent spell but ages poorly with higher levels, but again that wasn't Arelith and my memory is very fuzzy.

Is there a way to make these forms work in later levels? I'm especially curious about the umber hulk but they're all interesting. I was especially curious as to weather the STR/CON of the various forms can be increased with items or if the form outright replaces your stats regardless of items.

I'm imagining a level 27 ranger/3 blackguard in umber hulk form using divine might and shield or some deep ranger build that takes improved unarmed strike and stunning fist to stun people with his massive hulks claws.

I also want to make the zombie form work but I'm sure that's a lost cause.

Spriggan Bride

Re: Umber Hulks Silliness

Post by Spriggan Bride » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:23 am

Your equipment is disabled. There's probably a screwy monk/cleric or ranger hybrid that can make some use of the forms but I don't think it's anything you'd want to base a character around. Same with the 9th level shapechange spell with far superior forms. Play around with in on the PGCC.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Umber Hulks Silliness

Post by cornelius_4 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:31 pm

You can kind of do it with spellsword and monk so you get shapechange later on. You have to rely on other sources of ac so the spellswords boost to mage armor and some monk ac helps. Zombie can sometimes do a bit with a damage shield on, but not against anything that hits hard.

Monk UBAB only works for kama and fists now though and eventually kama may lose it also. They also specifically disabled the use of epic mage armor for these kinds of polymorph, so it won't get anywhere near a strong build. It's not for everyone, but if you like those spells, it can be done to an extent.