Kobold Wizard/Lorekeeper Help

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Chaosrook

Kobold Wizard/Lorekeeper Help

Post by Chaosrook » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Greetings everyone, I am no expert in spellcasting. As such I wanted to start a kobold wizard/lorekeeper. Hes currently at level 3, a summoner and I would love assistance in building a level plan for him. I guess that would make him 25/5 but please him me with the must haves and such.

v/r
Chaosrook
Home is where your Hearth is.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Kobold Wizard/Lorekeeper Help

Post by Skibbles » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:13 am

I played a drow Wizard/Loremaster 25/5 for a brief bit last year so maybe I have a bit of experience here.

Right out of the gate you have to recognize the greatest weakness: No Discipline. A light breeze, a level 10 fighter, many monsters, or anyone's summon capable of doing a normal knockdown attack can destroy you with scary ease.

If you're ready to accept that then you're ready to thoroughly enjoy a very expansive RP toolbox, but at a heavy cost.

I'm not sure of any surrounding 'meta' involving such a build, but I'd start by considering where you want to go as a wizard and then filling in the blanks with the loremaster secrets.

For example with my wizard I was epic focused in abjuration, necromancy, conjuration, and transmutation as the core 'philosophy' of the wizard's character. Then with loremaster I picked the secret of illusion and divination to have access to all six epic focus perks.

In essense: Use wizard levels to say, "I know a lot about these things," and then use loremaster for, "but I also understand how these things work."

Though since you're a kobold you may want to take tutor or something to teach all the other little 'bolds their history and languages etc.

Otherwise I doubt there's going to be anything you could do specifically wrong, other than pick a secret for a focus you already have, since wizard/Loremaster is heavily leaning into pure flavor. I don't think any of the optimal builders will ever recommend something without Discipline (for very good reason.)
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Duchess Says

Re: Kobold Wizard/Lorekeeper Help

Post by Duchess Says » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:42 pm

I'd at least consider warlock/loremaster instead? Between dark incantations and greater secrets you can have most of the ESF toys...