Spot Versus Listen

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Waldo52

Spot Versus Listen

Post by Waldo52 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:15 pm

I really don't know which is a better option.

AstralUniverse

Re: Spot Versus Listen

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Listen is generally considered better for detecting stealthers.
It's easier to boost up really high for short period of time with potions of Amplify, and it's opposing skill - Move Silently - is considered harder to boost up compared to Hide.

Spot on the other hand, can still work against stealthers (though, to less efficiency because of the above) and can break disguises and fully covered, while Listen has no interaction with disguise at all.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Zanithar

Re: Spot Versus Listen

Post by Zanithar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 pm

So, it is one of those things that boils down to some key mechanical differences and a hefty dose of personal preference.

Assuming you are not taking Spot for the secondary benefits of breaking fully covered or disguise:

I tend to take Listen on melee and particularly on stealth characters and Spot on ranged characters (when both are available options). I find the ability to “hear” through walls and around corners worth more than being able to perceive better at range. Particularly on corner sneakers.

The reason why listen is generally considered better is predominately due to the massive bonus ShadowDancers get to Hide. Which honestly, is probably not a bad thing given how weighted the other systems are to Spot.

I have played with both spot and listen extensively over the years and even waffled back and forth between them as my favorite.