How essential is Ki strike?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

How essential is Ki strike?

Post by Ping14 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:00 pm

I have a build in mind. Monk 20/ DD 6/ FTR 4
Shield Dwarf
DEX/CON build
STR/DEX/WIS equipment with greater runes only
Skills: Discipline, Tumble, Craft Mastery (20), Lore (15)
Crafting: Tailoring 40 + Herbalism 19 + Art Crafting 1
8ApR with flurry
56 AC with Ironstance, Addy Helm, Dex + Wis equipments
41 with Iron Stance + Flurry

Key feats:
DD - Iron Stance, Mounting Resistance
EDodge
EDR 1 to 3
EWS Fist

Question is, contemplating if Ki strike 4 to 5 is essential to all monk builds below 21?
I would be sacrificing EDR, but gaining ability to punch through stoneskin / premonition (15 lore gives me access to Lesser spell breach scrolls, but would need 5 lore rings). But that AB though, its really good to have (character maxes out at 43 AB with Iron Stance). Divine Power scrolls are hard to come by, but can boost it to 47.

Role? Just to get infront and be able to soak damage, and punch a few here and there.
PVP? No, I'm terrible at it, but if it happens, no matter how good of a build it is, I still get rekt. But I try from time to time, and might be needed to end some character's story.

If Ki strike is that impactful to QoL (noodle arms monk), I might consider dropping EDR all together, taking gift of insight instead and going Armor Skin + Ki Strike 4-5
Last edited by Ping14 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curve

Re: How essential is Ki strike?

Post by Curve » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:12 pm

It kind of seems like you are trying to do too much in this build and would be better served with a more standard DEX based monk. That being said who really cares this could be a very fun build. I’ve chased STR monks for years but gave up once the movement speed nerf came down the line. Anyways...

You have 4 attributes that you need to gear. STR, CON, DEX, WIS. I would only chase EDR if I could gear CON. DR wants to have a big HP pool and lessen what each bit of damage does to that pool. No matter what your base CON is without gear I bet it does not feel like a lot. At the same time DR builds want to be able to do so much damage that they can’t be ignored. This builds damage potential is not super high, not high enough to be able to trade with higher AB and damage builds or high end PvM content. On the other hand Armor Skin and more AB/Damage though the Ki feats are going to brings your numbers up to 45AB and 58 AC? That seems more alluring to me, personally. Especially the extra AB because if you don’t hit your damage is zero.

At the end of the day do what feels fun. Have you already started the character? If you wanted to build them up from the ground up we could do that very well through PMs and make it pretty potent. Or if you want to PM me what you have so far including Stats, feats, skills, blabla I can send you back a skeleton of where to go forward.

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:01 pm

STR gear is for carrying. While ideally it should be CON, but, after playing a STR character. I don't know how to live without it anymore.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:39 pm

I would go for Armor Skin, Ki +4 and +5 then. Are you getting Epic Dodge?

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:19 pm

Yep, getting EDodge.
I think I'll go the same route, will delete the character and make a new one.
I played 41 AB, and noticed that it still misses bigtime on some high level dungeons. Unsure if 2 AB will make a difference, but the 4 damage for noodle arms monk is appreciated.

Ki strike 5 makes it so that it can bypass premonition right?

EDIT: With a bit of moving stats and classes around. Its
59AC with all STAT potions, gear, barksin + Ironstance
65 AC with Mage Armor (1), Shield (1), Haste (4) = I don't usually consider this since this is burst AC and I'm lazy buffing up before seeing a spawn. I usually do that on bosses etc.
46AB with Gear + Ironstance

Only -/3 DR now though but I don't think I'll miss it with only 482 HP
* AC may be minus 4 though, since the wiki says character sheet might still show it, but, I tested with PGCC, AC shown is true AC.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:41 pm

I sent you a PM, Ping.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 pm

The most important and basic thing to understand about Monk is that you need every AB you can squeeze in. This is why I personally would recommend the 30 monk build for most people, but otherwise the 20 monk 6 fighter 4 X builds are 'just about' as good, but Yes - You definitely want Ki strike and any other feat that can give you AB (although you might have to give up on prowess and prioritize ESF discipline). Cheers.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too