Build request spellsword

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ozzy.nl

Build request spellsword

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:35 am

Hello good folks of Arelith,

I have been away for a good few years now but I have been feeling the urge to play on the server again. Now I am looking for a spells word build since I used to love the idea of those back when they where first launched. Does anyone have a decent build I can use?

Eigher a half elf or human race is fine.

Waldo52

Re: Build request spellsword

Post by Waldo52 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:20 pm

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there plans to reimagine the spellsword and make it its own class separate from the wizard chassis in the near future?

If this is the case I would avoid the class for now. Wait for the dust to settle and in time the build nerds will figure out the best ways to build one.

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi, you can try the following.
Starts off with Swashbuckler for more skill points.

Trade skills: Primary: Tailoring, Secondary: Art crafting (but really, up to you)

Class Level Distribution:
https://snipboard.io/ctOBmq.jpg
-It starts out as a Dexer, so don't expect too much when it comes to the damage department. But it scales well enough with imbues.
-Takes advantage of uncanny dodge which preserves your DEX AC when flat footed. AC can hit low 60s with haste + Expertise
-Transmutation focus and empower spells to aid with your STAT management (you want to max out 4 STATS = STR, DEX, CON, INT)
-Tried on PGCC with Arcane defence: Abjuration, you're still a dispel magnet, doesn't help much. So might aswell suck it up and go transmutation instead. It also enables golems, so your lack of summoning can be replaced with golems instead. Its up to you what school to give up for SS- just never ever sacrifice evocation, you're losing so much imbues that way. (But if you want to do so for the memes, respect.)

Skill Distribution:
https://snipboard.io/aPUJl6.jpg
-Intimidate and Taunt is actually your preference. Only useful for PVP. If you want to squeeze more out of the build. I'd say, go with craft mastery instead of taunt, then ditch brew potion and get extend spell for better Improved Invis and True strike.

Equipments
https://snipboard.io/Pb0xa5.jpg
-Only goal is Greater Rune, you can do better with masterwork runes but those are hard to come by and is just a pain
-For the cloak, alternative is Thaumaturgist's Cloak, but Cloak of Caster is ideal since you can dweomer it from ground up

I highly recommend to atleast aim for level 3 dweomercrafting.
Build can be equipment dependent. Also, your save is going to suck real bad. So you want high runes and mostly saves on equipments.

Weaknesses:
- Mordenkainen's Disjunction
- High Caster Dispel
- Energy Buffer / Protection from Elements = You can try and avoid this by imbuing mords or greater missile storm for breach effect. Why is this an issue? Because build is a Dexer, most of its damage are from elements, which can get soaked up easily. Pure physical damage is only 1d8 +6 STR +4 Weapon +4 Insightful
- Knockdown
- Any damaging spell = You don't have evasion, you'll be tanking it with your low HP
- Sneak with Crippling strike
- Saves are decent but not as good as monk or divine class, expect some failures with dragon wing buffet
- Long range archers (Erinyes, LoL)
- Level drain, Ability drain
- Evocation focused Bigby's
- 7th Circle above, limited spell slots, mostly used for Imbues

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:46 am

This looks like a cool build overall. I will give it a shot. Thank you.