New Paladin Builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Drowboy

New Paladin Builds

Post by Drowboy » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:28 pm

So far it feels like you'd want to run your standard 27/3, to me, just with a little more stat freedom. Anyone got anything other than that one?
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Re: New Paladin Builds

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:51 pm

It is more feat freedom too plus free boons.

Like they have various bonus feats.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Haven’t looked at them closely but is there any point to having wisdom now? If not a paladin might want to start with a different class so they’re not locked into 11 wis?

ZombieDuck

Post by ZombieDuck » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:03 pm

They are no longer locked in to 11 wisdom, even when starting as a paladin.
As for possible builds the Tier 1 & 2 boons are still good enough to be combined with the usual Paladin/WM combo or Paladin/Divine Champ.
The update in total does seem to give the class a lot of options and more long lasting buffs instead of typical few minutes of high AB/Dmg from spells, before you had to redo them.
The new Smite Evil/Good seems really nice and comfy, I've yet to test Paladin/WM, but I imagine the possible dmg from the first round to be very high with the combined 4 APR+Smite+Whirl+Haste.
If anyone with more experience on turning could weight in on the Oath of Inquisition and its boons on turning and what it can possible be used for, that would be welcome knowledge.
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:46 am

I'm playing around with a 16 paladin / 10 pdk / 4 loremaster. I'm enjoying it.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:24 am

PAL 6 LM 5 EKD 19
Shield Dwarf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Double guard, adaptable skillset and race/stats, can go dexer for a bit more AC at the cost of damage. Needs a DPS friend. Looking for feedback on optimising without compromising on the utility tank vibe.

Pro:
42 AB after resting is average
low 50s AC
EDR 3 / evasion
Good saves

Con:
42 AB is very average
PvP Options are 80 lore, wands and general livelord
damage is pants

Hopefully this is readable.

Code: Select all

[b]
Holy Shieldwall[/b]

Pal 6 LM 5 EKD 19
Shield Dwarf
Lawful Good

[b]Stats:[/b]

STR 15 +2 + 5 = 22
DEX 8
CON 16 + 2 +2 = 20
WIS 8
INT 16
CHA 11

Bump CON to 19 before level 21.

[b]Feats:[/b]

1 Expertise
3 Skill Focus: Lore
6 Toughness, Oath of Reckoning
9 Weapon Focus
12 Improved Critical
15 Knockdown / Improved Expertise
18 Blind Fight

21 EDR 1
24 EDR 2
27 EDR 3 #
30 Epic Weapon Focus #

LM 2 Lesser Secret: Dodge Trick
LM 3 Lesser Secret: Weapon Trick
LM 4 Lesser Secret: Avoidance #
LM 5 FREE

# can swap for something else but highly recommended

EKD 1 Banner 1
EKD 4 Banner 2
EKD 7 Safeguard 1
EKD 10 Safeguard 2
EKD 13 Banner 3
EKD 16 Safeguard 3
EKD 19 Iron Stance #

# Can swap for magebane or aegis - iron stance is the PvE choice
# Aegis is more reliable, magebane is passive and punishes no-pen 27 CL casters.

[b]Skills:[/b]

278 points
(max uno)
Discipline, lore, spellcraft (32), Tumble (15)[30], Taunt, UMD 15

112 spare
Heal, spot, search, locks, traps, listen all options
leadership and intimidate capped at 23 but still options
TLDR:
AB: 42 [only including +4 dwarf axe and +6 STR modifier]
AC: 51 (56 with expertise)
678 HP + temp HP sources

Saves (vs spells) [iron stance]
Fort: 24 (31) [35]
Ref: 16 (23) [27]
Will: 18 (25) [29]

EDR 3
Double guard
AoE buffs with banner 3 and safeguard 3
278 skill points
Last edited by MRFTW on Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:36 am

With the recent changes to AB and damage based on tier list, I would recommend considering some sort of 16 pal/10 knight, 16 paladin/10 divine champ, or 16 paladin/10 EKD.

Personal tier list for builds consisting of 16 paladin levels:

1. Oath of Inquisition - Two free useful feats (Improved Turning and GSF: Abjuration), large Bless Weapon damage leap, and +6 Spot (arguably the most useful skill offered by the oaths). Improved Turning helps you refresh your Turn Undead charges every 5 mins rather than 10. Holy Sword offers a flat 20 DC for the dispel with no bearing on how many paladin levels you need, so having GSF: Abjuration tacked on for free is huge and necessary to dispel level 30 casters.

2. Oath of Reckoning - Free Divine Shield, biteback divine damage, and Heroic Shield. So high up on this list because of its synergy with EKD. 16 paladin/10 EKD/4 tumble-dip gives you great PvE tanking ability and utility while remaining a damage threat.

3. Oath of Vengeance - Three free useful feats (Divine Might, Extra Smiting, Great Smiting I), extra movement speed, and +6 Leadership. Synergizes well with Knight due to Fear scaling with Leadership. Might be a sleeper oath that deserves a higher placement on this tier list, though placed here due to diminishing returns on varying alignments when using Smite Evil.

4. Oath of Perseverance - Lay on Hands reduced cooldown, Bless Weapon heals, (presumably) Restoration-like affect with Remove Disease, empowered healing. Strictly for the PvE crowd as it offers survivability through heals. Extend Spell feat is useless. Empowered healing benefits off potions.

5. Oath of Ancients - Free Improved Expertise and immunity to strong movement-limiting spells. Arguably deserves a higher spot in PvP due to Woodland Stride as Entanglement is one of the strongest spells in the game. Nature Sense got removed, but wouldn't have affected its tier placement much, anyways.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:58 pm

To me it also feels like 27 paladin / 3 bard or rogue, strength based. Vengeance is a package of feats, the rest of the oaths dont give as many feats and dont give anything substantial to make up for that fact with the exception of the chance to bypass crit immunity on Inquisition.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too