Ranks in search/lock picking/trap skills?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

xf1313

Ranks in search/lock picking/trap skills?

Post by xf1313 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:19 pm

One of my character is suffering from no search and got hit by traps every so often lol, makes me wonder how many points should I spend on search so he is not blind?

From in-game, the lock dc of dungeons are topping at 40 right? Pls correct me if I am wrong.

I am making a ranger/rogue, and want this character to be able to get all traps and locks in dungeons. Besides, using the best traps as well.

So the question is, what’s the maximum skill points should I invest in search/lock picking/traps? And should I max pickpocket for Npc looting LOL. I tried it once with a rogue character, ended up with every NPC scream thief at me. Is that permanent or the attitude can switch back after reset ?
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Good Character

Re: Ranks in search/lock picking/trap skills?

Post by Good Character » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:13 pm

I assume this is a dedicated DEX character. If so, 1 in both Open Lock and Disable Trap. Have dedicated +1 INT/+1 DEX/+2 Open Lock/+2 Disable Trap for every gear slot.

Search is optional. As a rogue with high DEX and improved evasion, you can eventually ignore traps.

Not sure on pickpocketing DCs, but NPCs are only angry on that specific server it happened on till server reset.

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:01 pm

I think pickpocket is a luxury skill only to invest in if you have endless points to burn. It’s occasionally fun but the rewards aren’t worth the hassle.

Search is worth it especially if you want to recover traps plus the extra loot high search gets you really adds up. Search will make you richer than pickpocket.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:10 pm

xf1313 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:19 pm
And should I max pickpocket for Npc looting LOL. I tried it once with a rogue character, ended up with every NPC scream thief at me. Is that permanent or the attitude can switch back after reset ?
The NPC attitude is explained on the wiki.

I had a dedicated pickpocket character, the skill was not quite worth it.

The wiki says that you can earn portion of combat xp for pickpocketing, but that is not really true, as the portion you earn is pitifully small. The amount of gold you can get from monsters is small as well.

NPCs can have extremely high pickpocket dc if they were unsuccssfully robbed by other people before. Robbing them can produce extremely heavy but useless items, and robbing stores takes too long to be useful.

If you're trying to pickpocket players, then there are often a few spot gods around which will notice it, and you have a risk of them carrying blade orb. The game does not provide any mechanism to assess target threat level.

Regarding search... high search increase chances of finding more items in chests. If you're a rogue, it is a good idea to invest into it.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:43 pm

Search is incredible. If you don't have a shop or the time/dedication/system mastery to handle crafting, it's basically free money. If you do have those things, it's still more free money.

Pickpocket is... Pickpocket. I play a chaotic evil rogue with a boatload of skills but I've never bothered with this one. It's a very RP loaded skill.

You're either a professional thief or you aren't. It can be a lot of fun and somewhat useful, as I've seen some dedicated and skilled players make a killing with this one. But like crafting it's sort of a game within a game. Don't take it because you want to fill out your skill points, take it because you want to be amazing at it.

Also, don't be a ****. Follow the rules and try to be a memorable villain. Prepare your invisibility potions and flashbangs but also prepare for your trial. You WILL get caught eventually.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:43 am

Thanks everyone, lots of thoughts into pickpockets I see. I won’t make a character to loot players (unless I want to rp with them)

As for Npc, well, I got Mithril, pearl, Dwarven incarnation from bendir npc...that was fun.

Still wish to know the dc of locks and traps thou, I have 16 int drow, so skill points are plenty. I am considering pure path rogue-shadow dancer or with at least 12 ranger, to be a good scout

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:38 pm

Don't forget that search also lead to find more items in loots and chests. If you find it is worth it. And in combination with lore, better -investigate.

Quote from the Wiki:

"Search adds a chance of discovering up to two extra items when looting a corpse (max 100% at 100 Search). In a party, the largest Search bonus is used when looting. Search is also used alongside Lore in investigating bloodstains."

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:43 pm

Cuchilla wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:38 pm
Don't forget that search also lead to find more items in loots and chests. If you find it is worth it. And in combination with lore, better -investigate.

Quote from the Wiki:

"Search adds a chance of discovering up to two extra items when looting a corpse (max 100% at 100 Search). In a party, the largest Search bonus is used when looting. Search is also used alongside Lore in investigating bloodstains."
Search + Apparaise on a rogue are an amazing combo.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:35 am

xf1313 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:43 am
Thanks everyone, lots of thoughts into pickpockets I see. I won’t make a character to loot players (unless I want to rp with them)

As for Npc, well, I got Mithril, pearl, Dwarven incarnation from bendir npc...that was fun.

Still wish to know the dc of locks and traps thou, I have 16 int drow, so skill points are plenty. I am considering pure path rogue-shadow dancer or with at least 12 ranger, to be a good scout
locks and traps vary some are poorly made and anyone with a 5 point dip can crack them, and some are unbreakable. Pure path or class is one class to level 30 just to clarify. Rogue SD Ranger can be a fun mix, but make sure you are ready to not be near a frontline conflict. I learned the hard way many years ago.
Yes I can sign

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:07 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:35 am

locks and traps vary some are poorly made and anyone with a 5 point dip can crack them, and some are unbreakable. Pure path or class is one class to level 30 just to clarify. Rogue SD Ranger can be a fun mix, but make sure you are ready to not be near a frontline conflict. I learned the hard way many years ago.
Yeah if I go ranger i’d stay back using a bow. The monsters hit hard
unbreakable ..like how much, 70 in dungeons? Max lock I met was like 40ish.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:18 pm

unbreakable as in 75+
Yes I can sign

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:01 pm

I think that there are locks that require 60 and even more. I have a rogue with the skill maximized, and once at least needed to use +6 lockpicks to open a door (can't remember where now), using just gloves and a ring to increase the ability.
From what I've seen, if you don't invest points in it, you will need to carry a lot of equipment to increase it (and the inventory is limited), and at least at low levels, you will find some you can't open.
If in terms of RP to be a good rogue I will maximize, or at least 20 points or so, the rogue abilities to deal with locks, traps, etc.
It really depends on what you want. I don't want to depend on finding, crafting, buying the equipment necessary to be able to open locks, etc.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:08 pm

Top tier locks range from anywhere in 45 to 80 range.
Quarters often sit at 127.
You want the highest lock you intend to open - 20 in open lock.

For traps you want:
Removal DC - 20.
Removal DC - 10 If NOT a rogue, this is so you can recover the trap as that bypasses removal dc 35 restriction.
See link for dc's on detecting and removal:
https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Set_trap

For search:
For rogues, you want to reach the detect dc for the highest trap you can remove/recover if you're going that route. So detect DC - 20 is your minimum.
For non-rogues, 35 - 20 is your minimum, anything above that is for loot purposes or higher detect chance as you can't see better than dc 35 traps.
Of course you can always employ find traps as a spell if you want to avoid search.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:19 pm

Without reading the other posts, im just gonna share what i know, i know there are doors that has lock DC of above 40, the highest was about 90 or so, in some places its 70-80 ish, so if its doors you wanna unlock you gonna need high.
Chest i believe you can manage 40 ish, but i do believe the higher tier chest requires higher DC.

For being able to spot traps, even having a high check dc, you can still discover traps abit to late, happen to me many times, especially on chest/doors. So not sure the roll vs search is instant, more round based? Some prob. Knows the mechanical better than me.

Disable traps.. im unsure about, they varies, some places has a high DC, mostly ist just 40ish i think. But Lockpicking seems to be the one with some high end DCs..

Been awhile i played my Rogue/Ranger so im not.. super sure :)

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:12 am

Thanks everyone for the info! I know what to do now lol