Help a Barb...

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Zalius

Help a Barb...

Post by Zalius » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:34 am

Hello :D

Iv been away from Arelith for some time, and im thinking about returing.
Iv been searching the forum for a 2h Barb (pref gnoll or Orog)
Can anyone lend me a helping hand, by either linking me a build, or explain why i should go for a 2h playstyle ?

Waldo52

Re: Help a Barb...

Post by Waldo52 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:08 pm

I don't see any Orog or Gnoll builds on the build wiki, which is here if you haven't seen it.

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Character_Builds

That said, what you want to do is viable. I'll keep my comments sparse because this isn't a class I know well.

1) Any race with bonuses to strength or constitution will work.

2) A lot of optimizers prefer weapon and shield or two weapon fighting over a large two hander. Shields increase your AC, a second weapon increases your number of attacks and either option gives you another item slot to buff your ability scores, skills, etc. However, one large weapon does more damage and comes with a nifty +1 to hit. It's definitely a viable option regardless of weather or not it's super optimal.

Zalius

Post by Zalius » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:37 pm

Ty for the reply :)

Yeah kinda seems like 2h is meh :(
i'll look at the spread sheet ty again

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:32 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =717966164

This would work for 2h, as above, sword and board or DW are more common, but 2h is just fine.

Don't play orog. Adjust the above's Firbolg stats to be a gnoll. I'd probably swap 2h weapon focus for polearms, but not doing that would be fine too.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am

Sadly 2h is just style points, especially after the recent barbarian damage nerf. But it -does- come with no small amount of style!

If you wish to go EDR route and play a thick skinned barbarian I would go 26barb/4fighter with epic weapon specializaton. Then you can pick polearm and use the Honour Guard Halberd for max DI and enjoy being tanky-ish with a large weapon

Then you can go weapon master route either 23/7 with any 2h weapon or even 20/5/5 fighter with a 18/20 weapon (falchion). A barb WM is considered less optimal these days but still a blast to play because of whirlwind and large number crits

Note that the builds above are very fun indeed but will not be able to solo endgame content, and you will have to group up with people to do interesting things.

If you wish to be able to steamroll endgame solo as a barb then I'd suggest relinquishing the idea of a 2h weapon and going 21/6fighter/3rogue with a shield. This is the cookie cutter barb that works. Get imp expertise, ews, armor skin and all the rage feats plus enough UMD to use wands and you are good to go

Hope this helps!