Concealment / Sneak Attack & Death Attack

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ruzuke

Concealment / Sneak Attack & Death Attack

Post by Ruzuke » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:32 pm

I have noticed my character has concealment, however, a sneak / death attack is not occurring. Does this only occur with a flanking bonus?

I checked the combat log and the bonus is not applying.

Curve

Re: Concealment / Sneak Attack & Death Attack

Post by Curve » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:44 pm

Assuming you mean concealment from spells such as Improved Invisibility that does not give you sneak/death attack damage. You get sneak/death attack dice from:

"Whenever the character makes a successful attack against an opponent who is flat-footed, cannot see them, or who is in combat with someone else, the character's blow delivers extra damage."

From https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Sneak_attack

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:12 am

You don't gain sneak/death attacks from concealment alone

You can get a sneak attack/death attack from the first flurry of attacks when attacking from invisibility or stealth, because whatever you are attacking didn't see you before you began attacking.

You sneak attack things when they are flatfooted (unaware of you and attacking from stealth), knocked down, or distracted attacking something else. Concealment has no impact on whether or not you make sneak attacks.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:31 am

Its some nwn voodoo with a lot of wonkiness.

For example, I noticed that when I have very high Listen check and I detect creatures with it, I attack them and they still get sneak attack in the first flurry against me *while* I'm attacking them, and I have Blind Fight, which really makes no sense and I wonder if it works the same way with Spot as well. Quite inconsistent stuff but it is what it is.

As for concealment - I dont think it has anything to do with sneak attack. You dont get it if you're being attacked by your target. If you arent being attacked by your target, you're flanking and then you're getting +2 ab and sneak attacks will proc, with or without concealment.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:56 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:31 am
Its some nwn voodoo with a lot of wonkiness.

For example, I noticed that when I have very high Listen check and I detect creatures with it, I attack them and they still get sneak attack in the first flurry against me *while* I'm attacking them, and I have Blind Fight, which really makes no sense and I wonder if it works the same way with Spot as well. Quite inconsistent stuff but it is what it is.
Spot isn't treated the same as listen. If you get attacked by something you found with listen, its essentially treated as an attack from invisibility and they'll get their sneak attack. This is not the case with spot. I have no idea why. It just happens this way. This is why spot is usually better than listen when trying to find sneaky characters. The expection being if you're a bard, and have the ability to add like 30 to 40 ranks in buffs to listen.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:39 am

Listen reveals the detected creatures as if your toon had no direct line of sight to them - you'll know where they are but won't be able to avoid sneak attacks or target them directly with spells and abilities.

Generally speaking listen is inferior to spot which reveals the creature completely and also has other utility (tracking, beating disguises).
On the other hand, move silently is more difficult to gear for than hide, so a dedicated listener is more likely to reveal dedicated stealthers. Listen also doesn't require a direct line of sight and in some extreme cases can have a larger detection radius than spot.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:22 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:56 am
If you get attacked by something you found with listen, its essentially treated as an attack from invisibility and they'll get their sneak attack.
Yeah, but the wonky part is that this happens even if you are the one who attack them first and they get the sneak attack on you *while* you're attacking them & u can do it cause blind fight. I would guess it works like that with Spot as well for that reason.
-XXX- wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:39 am
you'll know where they are but won't be able to avoid sneak attacks or target them directly with spells and abilities.
Are you sure? I know for a fact that if you have Blind Fight you can target the stealther and click them, at the very least with normal attack but I dont see how clicking them with a spell would be any different?
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:03 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:22 pm
-XXX- wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:39 am
you'll know where they are but won't be able to avoid sneak attacks or target them directly with spells and abilities.
Are you sure? I know for a fact that if you have Blind Fight you can target the stealther and click them, at the very least with normal attack but I dont see how clicking them with a spell would be any different?
Yeah, even the wiki mentions that.
Try shooting them with a gonne next time.

Furthermore, while blind fight does negate the AC loss from being flat-footed while being attacked by a hidden attacker who has been heard, it does not negate any other conditions tied to being flat-footed (so you'll still suffer sneak attacks).

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:59 pm

Interesting about the targeting...

About blind fight, yeah I was just stating how wonky it is to be sneaked by the target I am currently attacking.
Svrtr wrote:

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:19 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:22 pm
Yeah, but the wonky part is that this happens even if you are the one who attack them first and they get the sneak attack on you *while* you're attacking them & u can do it cause blind fight. I would guess it works like that with Spot as well for that reason
The thing is it doesn't. I have no idea why, other than things that you find with listen are treated like they have an invisibility spell on them still if they melee attack you (you can directly target them with spells and whatnot, unlike true invisibility). Blindfight makes absolutely no difference in this regard.