Two feat selection Arcane Marauder

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Xaevothoslongjourney

Two feat selection Arcane Marauder

Post by Xaevothoslongjourney » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:08 pm

Hello,

I am currently deciding on taking improved knockdown or greater spell focus abjuration for my Arcane Marauder. I like improved knockdown for its obvious applications, but a guide on the wiki suggests taking greater spell focus abjuration instead.

Is taking greater spell focus abjuration better because it makes you immune to the magic missle line of spells and improves the line of magic dispel spells?

Please let me know what is the usually preferred feats that are taken between my two options,

Thanks

Waldo52

Re: Two feat selection Arcane Marauder

Post by Waldo52 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:13 pm

Not an expert by any means but here goes.

Improved knockdown is good to have, but it's often the case that the one knockdown feat is enough for anyone you're realistically capable of knocking down, and the second feat isn't doing you much (if any) good against a prepared martial character.

Someone on these message boards recently pointed out that 75-80 discipline is a good benchmark for competitive strength based PvP builds, and for the most part you'd need to roll a natural 20 on your knockdown check to get someone on the floor (even after succeeding on the initial attack roll).

Of course there are cases when your attack bonus is just that high, or you're fighting a dex based character or someone less optimized. In these cases it's a good feat to have but it's relatively niche.