Warpriests

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Seven Sons of Sin

Warpriests

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 am

I've an epic cleric that was given a -relevel due to the big changes.

I've found understanding the mechanics of the new cleric paths (+domains) slightly daunting.

Is Warpriest better than a default Cleric for the purposes of a battlecleric build?

Is the trade-off ultimately Epic Spells and Summons for more CL and +2 damage and 3minute Divine Favours? Is the 27/3 still warpriest/bard?

Is Evangelist secretly the better battlecleric because of the strong bard synergies?

And, has battlecleric really been eclipsed by paladin in terms of a holy warrior build?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

MRFTW

Re: Warpriests

Post by MRFTW » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:19 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 am
Is Evangelist secretly the better battlecleric because of the strong bard synergies?

And, has battlecleric really been eclipsed by paladin in terms of a holy warrior build?
Yes to both, in my opinion.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:05 am

I dont like any of the cleric paths. Default cleric seems best for b-cleric. The singer path thing is probably decent for caster clerics who already went 27/3 and have really no reason what so ever to go for anything other than bard regardless.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

ZombieDuck

Post by ZombieDuck » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:03 pm

Path of the Warpriests benefits are mainly:
- Divine Smite(As free attack)
- Longer Divine Favour/Power for more comfortable use
- +3 CL vs Dispels at epic if you really want that Tumble/UMD/Evasion dip and still want to keep CL up

As for negatives:
- -2 DC on spells, which would mainly affect: Storm of Vengeance, Earthquake and Implosion
- No summons, which is a big negative but saves you the spell focus feats on Conjuration
- No epic spells, so no Hellball or Greater Ruin
- No epic spell focus commands like -teleport_create or -yoink

I'd personally still recommend normal cleric path for most cleric builds with Healer Path being worth considering for caster clerics.
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:55 pm

Warpriest path is very bad.

The battlecleric build is a dated one and completely eclipsed by the battle favored soul. Losing summons to gain +2 damage and +3 CL vs dispels (which can be mostly offset by AD: Abjuration) is a terrible trade. Increased duration of Divine Power and Divine Favor, for effective purposes, is mostly a qualify of life improvement for pve (which, in turn, took a massive hit thanks to no summons in high levels).

The only niche I can see Warpriest being vaguely useful for is if you are making a div might/shield battlecleric but then you are adding even more to your windup, that is already too long.

Healer and Evangelist path at least offer some perks that you can consider their usefulness to your particular build, but Cloistered and Warpriest are basically downgrades to the default cleric.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:25 pm

Cloistered can be an upgrade over normal on a caster cleric who uses strong DC based domain spells. Really depends on domains and focuses. +1 DC to all spells and free scribe scroll can be worth giving up heavy armor.

I tried warpriest and had to drop it. I’m sure leveling a cleric without summons can be done but it seemed too much hassle for dubious benefit later on.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:08 am

Warpriest is definitely underplayed by most; that +3 dispel CL offers up either an extra 3 AC (by allowing a dip without loss) or 2 extra feats (removing SF: Abjuration and Arcane Def).

I feel the spell DC reduction is unnecessary with the summon limitation, and the Good/Evil domain requirement for Divine Smite is disheartening (though, I assume it exists due to coding limitations).

Ironically the most attractive path to me but the one that struggles thematically.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:06 pm

Wrips wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:55 pm
Warpriest path is very bad.

The battlecleric build is a dated one and completely eclipsed by the battle favored soul. Losing summons to gain +2 damage and +3 CL vs dispels (which can be mostly offset by AD: Abjuration) is a terrible trade. Increased duration of Divine Power and Divine Favor, for effective purposes, is mostly a qualify of life improvement for pve (which, in turn, took a massive hit thanks to no summons in high levels).

The only niche I can see Warpriest being vaguely useful for is if you are making a div might/shield battlecleric but then you are adding even more to your windup, that is already too long.

Healer and Evangelist path at least offer some perks that you can consider their usefulness to your particular build, but Cloistered and Warpriest are basically downgrades to the default cleric.
There a battle FS build!? Where can I find this!

-stick-
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by -stick- » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 pm

A warpriest could take 5 weapon master levels and still have 30CL vs dispels I'd say that's a big bonus

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:15 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:06 pm

There a battle FS build!? Where can I find this!
Just the cleric build.

Domain spells and abilities definitely undercut favored soul now. It used to be in the same vain as sorcerer, but battle FS only needed to know so many spells so it was an outright better bcleric.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:38 pm

So you use the cleric build but take FS levels instead?

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TurningLeaf » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:31 pm

The only builds I can come up with for warpriest max out at 'almost as good as' some more standard setup.