Scepter of Tyranny

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.
Waldo52

Scepter of Tyranny

Post by Waldo52 » Sun May 29, 2022 4:36 pm

I've gotten my hands on two of these cool maces.

Last time I checked they were removed from the smithing article on the wiki, so I suspect they might be in the process of getting phased out. I'd like to think they're collector's items.

I was wondering if anyone actually uses these as end game gear. They're only +3 and not even keen, but the DC18 fear effect is hilarious, because even a level thirty character might roll a one for a will save.

Are these rune compatible or even worth it in the end? Or are they eclipsed by bigger and better things? I know about the black scepter, but that fear effect...

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Scepter of Tyranny

Post by Skibbles » Mon May 30, 2022 4:37 am

Is this a loot matrix item? Without knowing its exact details it's hard to comment on its viability.

At the very least you can probably do some testing by -transfer to PGCC and toying around with runes and seeing in what manner the fear effect takes form (is it greater fear, or will it Scare?). You can use an assayer's lens to find out what rune it can take - if any.

Otherwise it probably depends on your class. If you want to fish for a 1 on a fear check it's probably good that you have lots of attacks and high AB to keep checking fear. Fishing for 1s isn't going to be as helpful if you only hit on a 20 for example.

However there is merit, I've found, in total surprise debilitation when an opponent rolls a 1. I've found eyeblast poison to be incredible at times when an enemy rolls a 1 because nobody ever really expects to be suddenly blind without a huge visual tell like Word of Faith to preceed it.

This mace, if it is halfway decent, could be similar. Once a PVP starts and that combat log is rolling by it's probably going to be likely the other player has more important things on their mind than spotting the occassional low DC will save.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Mon May 30, 2022 2:25 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:36 pm
I was wondering if anyone actually uses these as end game gear. They're only +3 and not even keen, but the DC18 fear effect is hilarious, because even a level thirty character might roll a one for a will save.
I do, there are better things out there but that fear effect is the selling point, especially when playing a Banite, it's just a nice bit of flavor. I regularly used that scepter-mace as part of a ceremony for inducting new members into the Church of Bane.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:28 pm

I decided to go ahead and try it!

Dual wielding these things is a lot of fun, because even without haste I'm attacking six times a round which is a LOT of opportunities for the enemy to roll poorly.

According to the PGCC these weapons are also runeable, Which is another massive plus. Thank you guys for the advice/encouragement.

Also, a note to the developers: fear effects, blinding/deafening effects, vampiric regeneration and other gimmicks are fun and make gear weapon selection more of a game unto itself. I'd love to see more weapons like t scepter of tyranny!

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm

There's also a club with on-hit stun.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:55 pm

Security_Blanket wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm
There's also a club with on-hit stun.