Greater Award

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Zalius

Greater Award

Post by Zalius » Tue May 31, 2022 6:13 pm

Just got my hands on a Greater Award :O

And im looking for inspiration.
What sort of build would you play with a Greater Award? and why? :)

MRFTW

Re: Greater Award

Post by MRFTW » Tue May 31, 2022 6:44 pm

Ogres have some really interesting builds that aren't otherwise possible, the ogre magi gift gives a total of +2 str, +2 con and +4 cha as well as the associated penalties.

Nice for warlocks aiming for hideous blow, undying pact and/or eldritch armour.

The int penalty sucks a lot, though.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:13 pm

I second the ogre thing in general. I had fun on the PGCC doing a tribal barbarian shaman ogre, which meant I was basically three horrifying giants. I took stunning fist because the animations for ogres ripping things apart with their bare hands was too fun to pass up.

Yuan-Ti are cool too. Snake people are a straight upgrade from human mechanically, have sickeningly good stats for almost anything and good role play potential. Just bear in mind that secretive cults are a big part of Yuan-Ti lore and there are probably very few snake people on the whole server to network with.

That said, I think the most compelling characters tend to be human or at least one of the more everyday fantasy races. I used my Greater Award as a Normal Award for the Guldorand start, because early levels can get frustrating. In the end though, even that didn't do it for me. As some mid level rando in a huge city with no prior development with no friends I found that the character was lacking in identity. Without those powerful friendships forged in the trenches of Skal I felt like some random NPC who woke up rich for some reason.

I don't mean to poop on the award system itself, many of the options are cool if approached with the right planning and justification. It's just that 99.9% of your character's value comes from your real world personality, imagination and writing skill. I would recommend just using the faster leveling award or the higher level start, and only using the latter if you have a really compelling plan for where to go and make friends.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:24 am

When I got my Greater, I made a Yuan-Ti Cleric, later refund into Shaman. Why? I had this concept of a shifty, wandering Yuan-Ti walking the border of life and death, making deals with spirits like the character itself was a god of death offering second chances, or the means to get deeds left undone finished.

Mind, my choice was entirely RP-driven. Mechanically, it would have been a great Sorcerer/BG, but nah, I wanted to something different.

My advice would be to camp in the Wikia, looking the different Award races. Look at their culture, their racial bonuses, the +2 and +1 to stats. See if you come up a character that appeals to you.

Also when you create the character, take it slowly. If you -character_delete at level 10 or earlier, you get your award refunded. So you can test-drive your concepts and see if you enjoy the personality you have created. Builds you can naturally test on PGCC.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:45 pm

I had a greater, she is a Cleric with shiny golden hair and a few feathers on her back. Thou I ‘d be equally pleased if she is an elf or I made a Yuan-ti, I was lacking ideas back then.

Make a character that you’d love matters, hold on to the award if the races are not that interesting to you. Cos...to be honest, simple races are fun enough most of times
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Tempedius
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tempedius » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:40 pm

Yuan-Ti is mechanically a gold mine. I personally adore Mino, but sneks are just so very good. DEX bg, high ac caster builds, monk weaponmaster.. I could go on but the point being is if the build wants two of the three stats Yuan-ti is on par with several 5% races.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:22 am

Some more fun stuffs are coming for large races on Arelith, invest in mino or ogre coin now! Deposit your greater right here

Zalius

Post by Zalius » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:03 pm

Ty for the feedback :D

Iv been thinking, and i think i might go with the Yuan-ti and some infiltration gameplay :O