Trying to settle on a main build finally

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Astroidine

Trying to settle on a main build finally

Post by Astroidine » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:14 pm

Hey, been on arelith off and on for a while now, typically new characters every time until i get to lvl 5, then hit a road block on repetitive pet aggro circling, or a cliff of difficulty trying to get to new content when I'm not leading a legion of boars, spider, or undead. So i was hoping i could get a few ideas on potentially my forever build, and that i might actually get to play as more than just a Cordor hobo boxing the local rodent population

Personally, i can't stand bards, but i can give them a shot if my arm is twisted enough, and my brain is a tad too ironed out to work a true flame/frost sorcerer past level 8 or a darkness cycling warlock past 5.
Preferably I'd like to be able to solo as much as possible for when i can't find people to help with writs or if I'm on a time crunch before work.

Skarain

Re: Trying to settle on a main build finally

Post by Skarain » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:28 pm

You might enjoy playing a Strength Ranger. A Dual-wielding melee combatant in medium armor, swords enchanted to glow red by blade thirst, an Animal Companion on their side to deal additional damage. Should be rather self-sufficient, especially since Blade Thirst gives Vampiric Regeneration, meaning you heal based on the damage you deal. It also works with a quarterstaff-like weapon, two-bladed weapons, or with dual-wielding different one-handers. The concept is versatile enough to really be anything.

Two builds stolen from Wiki:

Standard Strength Ranger build. Beginner friendly.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =168923657

Dual wield, StrRanger build with Invisible Blade dip
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =267573042

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:45 pm

Cleric with summon forever..Good alignment to get angels

Devil warlock, with epic summon and good blast damage, spawn darkness everywhere, a easier version of true flame. Or double epic pact with fey, a friend of mine has this and can solo Deep Well.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Astroidine

Post by Astroidine » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 pm

Skarain wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:28 pm
Standard Strength Ranger build. Beginner friendly.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =168923657

Dual wield, StrRanger build with Invisible Blade dip
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =267573042
I like the idea of a str ranger, so i'll have to try this out, especially the firbolg one, but as a human since i wasted my free reward on guldarond and can't refund it since i finished leveling to 14...
xf1313 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:45 pm
Cleric with summon forever..Good alignment to get angels

Devil warlock, with epic summon and good blast damage, spawn darkness everywhere, a easier version of true flame. Or double epic pact with fey, a friend of mine has this and can solo Deep Well.
Sadly im too smooth brain for warlock darkness cycling as i've said, and no matter how you cut it, true flame doesn't have an easier option since you have a lack of "good" summons until late game... The cleric could work, but when i look at the domains i get dumb ideas, and they end up being not too great for leveling (though a warpriest dwarf of forge and protection is amazing on pgcc at 30)

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:53 am

FTR 10 / LM 5 / EKD 15 is a great, versatile melee. Limited to small races.

For reference, I've used one in basic dweomercrafted gear (zero runes) and 1v1'd the Ancient Wyrm in the Deep Wells. Only just, but I did it.

You get all the skills you need and about an extra 66 skill points or so to use as you wish, and great skill options from LM's class skills.

I've got a build sheet for it somewhere, if it sounds like the sort of thing you'd like.

ZombieDuck

Post by ZombieDuck » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:30 am

I think Cleric, Favoured Soul, Druid, Shaman and Spellblade all have pretty easy time going from 3-30, so if you're having trouble keeping up motivation while leveling try those on the PGCC.

Was there any kind of specific playstyle you were looking for though? Caster? Non-caster? Evil/Good? Tanky/Damage-heavy?
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:22 am

I have 2 cleric recommendations (rather, 2 way to do it)

Monk cleric, 3monk to start and you wear robes, lv monk at lv 20 and 27(or 20/30, if you want displine)
This way you are near invincible monk with planner conduct, and can switch domain via relevel if you get things wrong. In the end you are 25cleric 5monk, lawful good for Radiant heart membership. Down side is you have to dump Cha, no turning for you. Invest in dex and wis.

Or if you know the domains well, pure cleric, no path, better spell and cl

Fun str ranger can be ranger shaman, totem ranger start, then all shaman... 3ranger, 16 shaman then 1ranger before 20, 5 more shaman gets you planner conduct summon at lv 25. Before that you have fun totem swarm to play. This is stronger than pure ranger because you survive better.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:15 am

Astroidine wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 pm

I like the idea of a str ranger, so i'll have to try this out, especially the firbolg one, but as a human since i wasted my free reward on guldarond and can't refund it since i finished leveling to 14...

Sadly im too smooth brain for warlock darkness cycling as i've said, and no matter how you cut it, true flame doesn't have an easier option since you have a lack of "good" summons until late game... The cleric could work, but when i look at the domains i get dumb ideas, and they end up being not too great for leveling (though a warpriest dwarf of forge and protection is amazing on pgcc at 30)
Both pure STRanger and Feylock (summoner or blaster) are fun and versatile builds that work all the way from level 1 to 30, and can solo most end-game content with some practice and decent gear.

The first is a pure melee class with self healing, high AB and damage output, with a pretty good summon of it's own in form of your animal companion. The latter gets a hefty upgrade with Call of the Wild.

The second, Feylock, is a caster warlock that relies on either a hold monster/blast or hold monster/summon combo for it's bread and butter, with a lot of nifty buff spells. Thematically very fun too.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:49 am

MRFTW wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:53 am

For reference, I've used one in basic dweomercrafted gear (zero runes) and 1v1'd the Ancient Wyrm in the Deep Wells. Only just, but I did it.

You get all the skills you need and about an extra 66 skill points or so to use as you wish, and great skill options from LM's class skills.

I've got a build sheet for it somewhere, if it sounds like the sort of thing you'd like.
I'm playing this build right now, but planning on Ftr 6 / LM 5 / EKD 19. Is there a strong reason I should drop the 4 EKD levels for 10 of fighter?

Astroidine

Post by Astroidine » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:54 am

MRFTW wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:53 am

This sounds amazing, even using LM which i was secretly hoping to find in a build, since none of the build hive mind included on the wiki, and EKD which i loved playing around with on the pgcc, i'd love to see the build sheet if you have it somewhere
ZombieDuck wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:30 am
I think Cleric, Favoured Soul, Druid, Shaman and Spellblade all have pretty easy time going from 3-30, so if you're having trouble keeping up motivation while leveling try those on the PGCC.

Was there any kind of specific playstyle you were looking for though? Caster? Non-caster? Evil/Good? Tanky/Damage-heavy?
Honestly, i'm at this point down for anything, been on the server off and on for years like i've said, hell its the only game i've bothered looking at forums for, and i want to finally play and get some good rp in. One of my other friends also plays the server and he is always telling me about some of the things he has going on deep under and in cordor. With that said, i have considered commoner for the sheer RP factor, but having a class with mechanics to back up character ideas vaguely (like being able to cast any illusion spells at all to give off an air of mystery.... and cheap parlor tricks). is more ideal. With that said, preferably not bard or warlock, but if this fighter gig doesn't pan out, i guess i can settle on singing a parody of wonderwall in cordor on a bard.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:16 pm

God_In_Action wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:49 am
I'm playing this build right now, but planning on Ftr 6 / LM 5 / EKD 19. Is there a strong reason I should drop the 4 EKD levels for 10 of fighter?
6/5/19 is also very solid, and if anything, a little beefier and more survivable. It'll provide better party support by taking Aegis and safeguard 3 as well. I went 10 ftr for a few reasons:

- trades 2 EKD bonus 2 epic ftr bonus feats, meaning I get 6 total. EDR 3, EWF, Prowess, and Great STR 1 (I started with 16 STR)
- I don't see as much value in the other epic EKD feats compared to +1 AB from prowess/great STR
- 15 EKD is the breakpoint for armour skin. If you dropped to 13 EKD, you'd use the 12th level ftr feat for armour skin anyway, so this nets 1 more DR.

The main downside of the build is that for a melee, the AB is a bit on the low side, sitting at around 49 without banner up. 6/5/19 would get around 46-47 AB without giving up on any EDR, which was a bit too low for me.

I'll work on the sheet today and hopefully get it posted in a few hours.

EDIT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Should be the first build on there. Lots of options for feats, that's just how I do it. You could drop SF: Discipline, lightning reflexes and/or iron will for KD and IKD if you wanted. I decided not to because due to Banner and LM AB bonuses being soft bonuses, the build's big weakness is the fact it's True Strike AB is pretty low. As such, I went for saves over KD.