Monk / Loremaster

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Not a Mad Titan

Monk / Loremaster

Post by Not a Mad Titan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:33 am

Hey guys,

I've been trying to make a Monk / Loremaster with Human race.

So far, the character build is 25 Monk / 5 Loremaster.

He is Unarmed focus, has 50 AC without Haste and 43 AB.

Some key feats I grabbed were Circle Kick, Blindfight, Epic Dodge, EWF Unarmed, and Ki Strike +5.

With 16 INT, 16 Wis, 14 Con, and 25 or 26 Dex natrual.

With 16 INT I got Lore, Concentration, Spellcraft, Tumble, UMD, Parry, Spot and Heal.

Wanted to see if there was something I should change, or if this is even viable. This would be my first Monk on Arelith.

Thanks!

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Monk / Loremaster

Post by Skibbles » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:48 am

I can't speak to much of this but I believe circle kick has been broken since HoTU came out and you absolutely should not have.

I can't even remember why. I just have this horrible memory urging you not to have it.

Apparently, as I look at it, the Arelith Wiki just says, "It's still terrible," which doesn't remind me how bad it was or why, but I think it affirms it well enough.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:49 am

Its bad because it makes it impossible for your character to focus on one target. Its like cleave, only instead of giving a free attack when you kill something, it just randomly switches to a new target within melee reach the first time you hit something each round. At best, it makes it difficult for you to take down one target. At worst, it will get you killed by randomly choosing to make you punch something with something like acid sheath up, or make you turn away from the sneak-attacking blackguard that immediately gets a critical sneak attack off on you as you turn to fight something else.

Do not take circle kick. Period.

If you're a dex monk, i'd actually recommend considering switching circle kick for called shot.

Called Shot: You've got a high AB, but your damage output may be disappointing, blow-for-blow at times when dealing with physically resistant enemies. Called shot allows you to further whittle down enemies, stacking penalties as high as -10 AB/-5 AC, or -15 AB/-5 AC on dex-reliant targets. Greatly helps when dealing with long, drawn out battles where you can reliably hit something, but they've got a massive HP pool/physical DR thats dragging the fight out.

It also gives you some ranged utility, as you can start stacking these penalties with ranged weapons from a distance when kiting enemies towards you.

Not a Mad Titan

Post by Not a Mad Titan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:09 am

So, take out Circle Kick and grab Called Shot.

So far I've him geared out with Disciple's Garb, and Wisdom / Dex / AC / +2 Lore Gear. Should anything change?

I don't know what is decent when it comes to AB and AC for Arelith since I've only ever played a Caster / Summoner.

I've got Lore around 56ish is that good enough for decent scrolls or should I really aim to get 80?

Epic Feats are tight and grabbing ESF: Lore is a little difficult.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:33 am

Not a Mad Titan wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:09 am
I don't know what is decent when it comes to AB and AC for Arelith since I've only ever played a Caster / Summoner.
Just for a point of comparison. 30 pure monk with properly placed stats will have 48-49 ab and about 59-60 AC and is considered "fine" these days. Not good or bad in particular.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Not a Mad Titan

Post by Not a Mad Titan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:54 pm

I'm not 100% on doing Loremaster.

I'm trying to find a good Monk build to just run with. Something primarily if not pure Monk.

Any ideas on improvements? Should I drop Loremaster? I tried another build with 5 Ranger just to see. Ended up I think 6 APR and around 44ish AB and 53 AC with Haste, Cat's Grace, and a Shield buff from the Bracers. Besides that I didn't have nay other buffs.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:04 pm

have 16 wis with gift. have 19 dex with gift. just go 30 monk

epic feats are epic weapon focus, armor skin, ki +4 and +5, epic skill focus discipline and epic dodge.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:44 pm

yeah unfortunately 30 monk is pretty much the way to go these days, unless you're looking for flavor over playable capacity, it'll almost always come up short in feats, ab and damage.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:52 am

If you do not care about top ab and stuff, go with whatever you like, honestly.

25 monk is sufficient to be good in party

Make sure you have enough dex for epic dodge.

5 lore master is fun,
My monk has 4 paladin, fits the concept and gets me into the radiantheart
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:14 pm

I've seen a 20 Monk / 10 Knight build that looked fun to play and was hard in a fight.