WIldshape Druid Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aaraeus

WIldshape Druid Build

Post by Aaraeus » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:05 am

I'm extremely new to Arelith and NWN in general, and I'm trying to find a druid build that stay close to my idea without falling behind in general performance with content, both PvE and PvP. Im a solo player, and a few other classes builds I found myself suffering as I got close to lvl 10 when brute force doesn't seem to work well anymore.

Im looking to stick with utilizing the shapeshifted forms as I get them, with my pet and summons alongside me like a mini army. Melee is a must. I'd like to be able to mix in barbarian for rage in shifted forms if possible, or maybe fighter for some feats, but I'm not sure what I should take.

Any help with general builds, feats, and stat distribution would be of great help. I was leaning on a human, but any non-token race I'm open to.

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: WIldshape Druid Build

Post by Sandrow » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:48 am

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Druid Take a look at the totem path

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:14 am

druid player here, as long as you start with at least 18 or 19 wis nothing can go wrong. Buff yourself and shift. Thou the strongest Druid is the pure Druid,

Totem Druid has stronger shifted form, classical one start with better stat. Pick any race you like and test on PGCC servers. Mind you that although Druid is quite decent, one can still die if you get unlucky...always do writ at near cap level

if u want to mix Barbarian you should play shaman (accumulating levels). That is also quite strong

Feats, start with Gsf and Epic spell focus after lv 21 on conjuration make your summons strong. At least gsf trans for best buff and teleport. Bind fight , up to you to pick the rest feats.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:35 pm

The Totem Druid is very easy to play and plan. It had a simple scaling stats when in wildshape and PvE content is relatively easy once your stats get high enough. I might recommend playing one of those as a practice character for a bit to get the feel of how druid and Wildshape works, then make a new character when you're ready for something more complex.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:46 pm

Yeah I wouldn't mix druid with anything unless you really know what you're doing. You want the monolith elemental forms at level 28 even as a totem. A few levels of barbarian won't give you rage worth using anyway. Take epic conjuration and transmutation focuses and improved expertise and max out wisdom and you're good to go.

Pure druid is a great first character to play and to explore the server with. The nature community is welcoming too so it's easy to hang around the groves and get into RP quickly.

Aaraeus

Post by Aaraeus » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:41 am

So I've settled on a mostly done build layout. My only questions left are:

1) What skills should I focus. I'm definitely putting a point in picking locks and craft trap for utility. Most of the class skills seem kinda meh but I don't see getting discipline and tumble to only 15 as great

2) besides the essential spell focuses, expertise, and damage reduction feats, what can I take that assists? Knockdown and improved knockdown maybe? Cleave possibly?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:39 am

Aaraeus wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:41 am

1) What skills should I focus. I'm definitely putting a point in picking locks and craft trap for utility. Most of the class skills seem kinda meh but I don't see getting discipline and tumble to only 15 as great

2) besides the essential spell focuses, expertise, and damage reduction feats, what can I take that assists? Knockdown and improved knockdown maybe? Cleave possibly?
unless you are rogue dont bother with craft trap or lock picking. you need to read the wiki for all druid changes before you put a final on your build
Yes I can sign

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:13 pm

Aaraeus wrote:

Hide/MS is one to consider. Druids can become pretty decent sneakers between their spellbook and their polymorphs, especially if you multiclass with something with those as class skills, like ranger.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:42 pm

with a few points in lock pick, u can open many locks in air elemental form. This IS something to bother. No way to miss out on the legendary dex bonus

Concentration, spell craft, these two are essential for Druid and the rest are just...invest if you want? I put some in lore and heal and search.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:04 am

Aaraeus wrote:

A point in open lock will let you open quite a bit. You can use lockpicks and specialized gear to get open lock high enough to be useful. It's a great way to spend (two cross class) skill points.

15 tumble gets you 3 AC and prevents attacks of opportunity. You definitely do want that. (15 though, not 16 as it goes by 5s)

16 discipline is a tougher choice. You can take SF: Discipline to get that to 21 base. Since earth elemental and plant shapes get knockdown immunity I'd say you could skip it.

16 hide and MS can be worth it. Air elemental + camouflage and one with the land spells will let you sneak past quite a lot. You can also take SF: Hide here and even the minor gift of stealth.

You need to max concentration for your spells... Lore can be useful for scrolls in PVP or you could disregard it... It's either 5-ish points for quality of life IDing stuff or go all the way really. Spellcraft should be maxed if you can too.

You really don't have many feats so on a human before level 20 I'd take both conjuration and transmutation focuses, improved expertise and quicken or extended spell. That leaves one open, maybe knockdown or a skill focus if you're going that route.