Epic Dodge and Knockdown

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Epic Dodge and Knockdown

Post by Waldo52 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:07 pm

There was recently an update which mentioned that certain special attacks now respect ED. Is knockdown effected by epic dodge currently?

It's a very important question for me because I'm trying to figure out what the magic discipline number is for me as a rogue with a base STR of 13.

AstralUniverse

Re: Epic Dodge and Knockdown

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:40 pm

Epic dodge will eat the first attack in the enemy's attack round sequence. If the enemy is spamming KD on you, the first attack in their round sequence isnt their only max ab attack because they are likely also hasted. So you can (and should) entirely ignore the presence of epic dodge when you decide how much discipline you need. This is regardless if there's a bug or not.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:07 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:40 pm
Epic dodge will eat the first attack in the enemy's attack round sequence. If the enemy is spamming KD on you, the first attack in their round sequence isnt their only max ab attack because they are likely also hasted. So you can (and should) entirely ignore the presence of epic dodge when you decide how much discipline you need. This is regardless if there's a bug or not.
Ouch :(

What's the current opinion on the minimum discipline needed to survive PvP for a melee character?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:48 pm

I would aim for 70+ now with the coming stream of giants.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:40 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:07 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:40 pm
Ouch :(

What's the current opinion on the minimum discipline needed to survive PvP for a melee character?
Always assume those who want to capitalize on Knockdown or Disarm are large-sized or using large+ weapons who maximize strength. Ideally, these builds are hitting 54+ AB easily.

You 1 over their skill check to avoid being knocked down/disarmed. Always prep for the nat 20 they land.

This means you want at least 75 discipline.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:12 pm

go shadowdancer if that number is too impossible to reach for a rogue, hips and run.

The alternative is be a druid... Druid rogue with elemental shape that is knockdown immune
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:04 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:48 pm
Dear Gods . . . How is that even doable?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:24 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:04 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:48 pm
Dear Gods . . . How is that even doable?
Lets count!

33 ranks + 10 ESF + 22 gear + 2 bull pot = 67. Add skill focus and you're at 70+. If you're a div build you can probably get 3-5 more points from str on top of this.

It's still pretty bad against a stone giant hexblade hexing you and spamming IKD but you're a dexer with epic dodge for the matter so you need a weakness. This is fine.
Svrtr wrote:

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:52 pm

Something to consider: epic dodge doesn't really block the first attack - it blocks the first successful attack in an attack round. The issue with KD is that you can force a character to "burn" their epic dodge by using any combat maneuver (disarm, kd, etc) even if that attack misses.

Edodge is still enormously powerful and you're going to avoid KD attempts pretty readily in the majority of cases. Still invest in discipline since those big AB builds can trigger your Edodge on the first round with a KD - miss or hit - and then KD you again on the subsequent attack.